Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGL5 Chat Thread

MikeP

My 1st star party too. Great info on the booking page, very comprehensive. Esp. the cold weather warnings. My wife has made me buy a tent heater.

Good move - I was freezing last year in my little, unheated, tent :p

Going to bring the caravan this time though :headbang:

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... I was freezing last year in my little, unheated, tent

I was toasty in my tent. :headbang:

Just make sure you have plenty of insulation between you and the ground (I use a king size quilt, which I sleep both on and under - if you get my drift), wear thermals, socks and a hat in bed, and use a hot water bottle.

Hot water bottle... what a simple idea and why have I never thought of that? There's a chance Kate and the kids will be with me on this one and I now have an excellent way to keep them warm. I could of course just use my little heater but if it's clear I'll need the leccy for more important things :headbang:

James

We've camped out in snowy/icy conditions a fair bit on climbing trips.

Two things which really made a difference to me were buying a thermarest and a good quality sleeping bag. I'd go for a synthetic filled bag rather than down filled. I've got one of these. Down is lighter/packs smaller but is much more expensive and doesn't tolerate getting damp. They're not cheap but if you're planning on doing a bit of camping then I think they're worth it!

Andrew

PS - I have nothing to do with thermarest or marmot and Ellis Brigham aren't always the cheapest.

Yes, the note was drafted that way as a result of my freezing nights at SGL4!! (despite having a rather nice down sleeping bag and an air bed). This year I'm going for thermal insulation under me, and then like Mike a double duvet under and on top of me (with me still in my sleeping bag!). And a couple of hot water bottles and a fan heater too! I'm also thinking of earplugs and some eyecovering for sleeping in after the night before.....:headbang:

Helen

Yay we can go!!!! ;) Booked and paid for. :headbang: What a relief, we really didn't want to miss it.

So we'll be giving our new (very old!) caravan it's maiden voyage. We could, however, still be trying to erect the awning by the Sunday!! :p:)

It will Rain/Hail/Sleet/Snow with Gentle Breezes/Strong Winds/Gales/Storm Force Winds whilst temperatures will be below average/average/above average/

Delete as appropriate Note the use of advanced forecasting tools like a coin or dice may be beneficial...

Billy...

The met office can't even get tomorrow right...so I would forget any forecast

(they predicted clear skies for me last night, completely overcast from 7pm)

Nick,

I use satellite pics and pressure charts to make my own forecasts unlike the Met office who seem to use a piece of seaweed that's passed its sell by date.

Just looking at the new Tal125 triplet...and was wondering if anyone fancied a good old head to head with some other scopes... I am bringing the F15 refractor with me, and would love to put these two side by side... anyone got any other potential head to head scopes?

Archived