SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SGL5 Chat Thread

MikeP

Now that the bookings are starting to roll in, I thought you might like a chat thread so we can work up the excitement to a fever pitch.:headbang:

At the time of writing, 29 pitches have been booked (27/2 electric/non-electric) to accommodate 50 people. Suprisingly (to me) 21 of the 29 have been for all three nights - looks like Friday will be as active a day as Saturday.

To be sure of a spot on the rally field, I'd encourage you to book early. There are 72 electric pitches + loads of non-electric ones. Feedback from the expression of interest indicated 60 electric pitches would be sufficient, so I think we are covered. If not, the site will allow us to plug in splitters to convert some non-electric pitches into electric ones.

If you have booked and want to check we have received your details and your payment, you can look here .... http://stargazerslounge.com/star-parties/98646-list-sgl5-attendees.html

Mike

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ever since I read the reviews of SGL4 I knew I wanted to come to SGL5. It seemed like a great opportunity to meet some of the people behind the posts, pick their brains and look at everyone else's kit.

Two weeks ago I ruptured my Achilles tendon (playing hockey) and still have another two months in plaster (well plastic actually) to look forwards to. I'm not sure camping is a good idea and can't drive for some time!:headbang:

Oh well, maybe next year.

Andrew

Andrew

Not everyone is camping and I know that someone is staying at the local Travelodge (Hereford Grafton) which is about 8/10 minutes drive from Lucksall. So if you want to meet fellow SGL members that is an option. If you want other local information send me a message.

Mark

I wish I could stay for all 3 nights - my other half is performing in our local players production of "Fawlty Towers" though so I'm on a promise to see the Thursday night production :headbang:

I only managed 1 night at SGL4 though (albeit a fabulous one for observing) so it's a 100% improvement this year :p

Last year we had a Supernova in a faint galaxy in Ursa Major. Andrew, Alex and I were able to see it with Alex's 12" dob and my Ethos 13 eyepiece. It's one of my all-time observing highlights - I think the Supernova was around mag 12.5 but only peaked at that for a couple of days - just in time for the best night of SGL4 :headbang:

It would be great if there was another one - but not in our local galactic arm please !.

That Saturday night at SGL4 was certainly amazing...I saw loads through Ian's dob.

May I just point out that the banner for SGL5 depicts exactly what I did to Stefski whilst he was viewing live feed outside his tent. I crept into my caravan - next door to his tent - and inadvertantly turned on the external light, thus blinding him for the next 15 minutes. He was very gentlemanly about it, and I did make him some tea to try and make up for it, but he just couldn't hide the trauma in his eyes...:headbang::p

Good morning folks.....I live 10 minutes from the SGL5 site and am wondering if I need to register as my intention is to drop in for an evening / night ..... maybe two... to meet some of the wonder people off this sight and to maybe (as a newbie) sneek a peek through one or two scopes?

You don't need to register but .....

In the next week or two, I'll be sending details of activities and looking for feedback. The emails will only go to those people who have booked or registered.

Mike

Mark,

Thanks for the kind offer. The main problem is not so much the accomodation but more the lack of mobility.

I've stayed at Lucksall before - it's very handy for Symonds Yat where I've been climbing quite a few times. There are also some good caves there although that's never been my thing!

Andrew

I'm stressing a bit here - we soooo want to come to SGL5, but I have a small issue! I've got a pre-med appointment for a pending operation on Thursday (11th March). I'll find out the date of my op then, so I daren't book till I know the date of my op. Do you think there'll still be places by Thursday? Or should I book now just in case....although I can't really afford to splash out the dosh if we can't come.....

Hi

I live locally, in Hereford and providing I am not working may pop down for a visit or if anybody wants to meet for a coffee at Starbucks in Hereford then drop me a PM

Best wishes

Gordon

Booked it ....

Cant wait now.!!!

Hope its as good as last year sounds.... its my first time and yes i am nervous. (you always are arnt you) lol

Don't worry - it was my 1st time last year (despite 25+ years in the hobby :headbang:) but everyone was really friendly. It's just so nice being surrounded by people who are happy to talk about astronomy rather than coping with "tolerant disinterest" from one's family !.

Yeah your not wrong there. Will be nice to have a conversation with out someone thinking I am nuts or laughing at me lol. Or even worse ...... By saying " yeah I like all that , i am a libra" lol

Can't wait mate

Just booked Sat night, not been to a Star party before but Lucksall is not far from me so had to come along.

What is a good time to arrive on Saturday and start to setup tent if everyone else has been up all night stargazing…? I don’t want to wake all you slug-a-beds up? :headbang:

Mick

Ladies and gents, complete and utter newbie here. Spent the last few decades staring up at who knows what but totally fascinated and mesmerised by the cosmos. Apart from The Plough and Orion I'm lost! I badly want to come to your star party but don't get back from a Far East tour until 14 April and it might be a bit of a stretch to hit the 16th. Is it possible to come for the Saturday night with a tent and just join in? I don't have a telescope, sorry! I'm so excited that someone can hopefully explain what I'm looking at that I would be very grateful of an answer. Anyone in Birmingham who can also assist would be fantastic! Apologies if in wrong thread. Cheers.

Yes, you can book for just one night. You might want to get along quite early on the Saturday as we'll be running workshops and things during the day, and you'll also get chance to wander around looking at different scopes and asking questions. People tend to pack up mid morning on the Sunday and start heading for home.

There'll be loads of people who'll be willing to let you look through their scopes (that's a big part of the fun, even for those of us who have scopes!), so don't worry about not having one.

Helen

Archived