Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi from Basildon, Essex

BazMark

Hi everyone, I'm in Basildon, Essex.

November last year my wife came home and told me that a friend of ours had just bought his wife a small telescope. I remembered the old Tasco (one of those scopes sold on the ludicrously high mags) up in the loft and got it out. It Immediatetly re-awoke my love of the night sky though I could only use it on the lowest power. I ended up buying 1st a Skyhawk 1145PM and last week a Skymax 127 Mak GoTo.

I've only been able to use the Skymax twice but Wow what good views. 1st time out and we were able to see the ice cap on Mars and last night even though I could hardly see any stars due to the milky sky it managed to see'' through it to give a nice sharp if faint view of Saturn at around 180x mag. Can't wait for some clear skies!

Incedently, the skymax came from Telescope Planet and it arived les than 24hrs after ordering it. I did however, find them really hard to reach on the phone. When I did, I got some very helpful advise though.

Anyways, that's me. I have been reading on here for a while and have learned a lot and I shall no doubt be asking questions in the future.

Best wishes everyone,

Mark

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL.

The Skymax is a great scope. I have a 127 as well and I think they are cracking scopes. Great on the moon and planets...

I'm down on Canvey so not far from you.

Ant

Hi Ant,

If you're on Canvey then your sky is likely similar to what it is here in Basildon. Do you use any kind of light pollution filter when viewing nebulae and the like?

Mark

Visual astronomy from Canvey isn't really possible - the LP down here is much worse than Basildon... I think it has to do with being closer to sea level and the amount of moisture in the air.

The orange glow most nights goes right up to the zenith!

Yes have a couple of LP filters - both work quite well and I've moved into Narrowband imaging so LP doesn't really affect me know.

Cheers

Ant

Hi All, and thanks for your welcoming comments.

I've never seen the milky way in Basildon but we do get some good clear nights from time to time when you can see quite a bit.

I managed to locate M51 in my 1145P skyhawk a couple of weeks back. It was extremely faint but definitely viewable once my eyes were adjusted. I can't see M31 with the naked eye but can find it easily with 7x33 binos and even easier with 10x50s.

I've got family in N Wales. Can't wait to take the skymax 127 up there.

Mark

Hi Mark and welcome,

I originate from Basildon as well, first 27 years of my life, now living out in Great Wigborough, sky's so much darker out here. If your willing to travel, the causeway across Abberton Reservoir is flat, wide open and very dark for an Essex Skyline.

Ian

Hi SlySi84,

I'm guessing from your kit that you've been stargazing for awhile and you live in the same area I do. What light pollution filters do you use if any? I'm on a tight budget so I don't want to waste funds on things I'm not going to use.

Hi Mark,

I dont really use any filters for observing, I'm over in Langdon Hills and my garden is shielded from any local LP, however for photography I have been lent a LP filter to help increase exposure time.

I do find my views towards London are very poor, as you would expect, I've not tried using the LP filter for viewing that part of the sky but next time out I will give it a go.

Looks like there is a little cluster of us here in Basildon now.

Archived