Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Street lights... anything we can do?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few years ago I lived in a small rural town. There were four lights in my street. They were very bright and completely unshielded. My kids complained about them lighting up their rooms and of course they were a major pain for astronomy.

Naturally the local council brushed off my concerns as being those of some demented hippy weirdo who should be ignored lest greenie freakishness be contagious. No matter who I complained to, no matter what approach I took, I got nowhere.

The only other amateur astronomer I knew of in my town told me he'd tried and failed many times in the past and had completely given up on the issue; not only due to the council's utter disregard, but because everyone else thought he was a stirrer, or potty, or both.

The thing that really annoyed me about those four lights was that my family were the only residents in the street. It was a cul-de-sac on the edge of town and consisted of empty sections, vacant holiday houses, and my home.

A few years later I was posted to a city and now I too don't bother fighting light. The odds are terrible when you consider that 99.999% of our fellow human beings think that the stars in the sky are boring but places such as Las Vegas are pretty.

Sorry for the "glass is half empty" attitude, but there's only so much ignorance you can take before you erect a protective barrier between yourself and the mass of greedy, drooling ignoramuses known as "our fellow citizens".

Archived