Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Exploding Cigar

johnh

EQ6, SPX350 F4.53, ATK-16HR, Astrpdpn filters TS9mmOAG, Mintron guidecam.

Ha5nm-100min in 20/30m subs.

L-90m in 10m subs.

R-30m GB-20m in 5m subs all unbinned.

I started this in December but weather was awful for two months, my longest OAG subs 30mins for H alpha but again got cut short and was unable to add more Ha which would have worked really well reducing noise. I was suprised with the amount of Ha I got with 30mins v 10mins, and Ha with M82 is actually very faint. The Ha amount was so good I layered it into the luminance and blended the Hargb with the rgb which gave the galaxy better structure with the Ha. Used lots of layers and high pass in CS3.

Apparently gravitational waves from large M81 has rippled through M82 causing starburst involving super massive stars which don't last long and when the go supernova they are masked by M82's dust and remain invisible but combine to produce stellar 'Superwinds' ejecting that red coloured gas Ha filters show.

Thanks, JohnH.

post-15219-133877429996_thumb.jpg

post-15219-133877430003_thumb.jpg

ooooooooh YES! That's superb John. As you say, those jets are actually fairly dim compared to a lot of ha emissions, and that kind of dim emission does really seem to benefit from loooooong exposures to bring them out, it just takes eons to get enough subs to smooth out the process as mentioned.

Cracking piece of work, well done!

Tim

That is superb, really worth the effort.

The Ha filaments are very pronounced and detailed,

Tried a test shot of M82 last night with the C11 and camera bin2 RGB 400S subs, no hint of these even in the R subs, now know I need long Ha subs :).

World class. One of the most dramatic images I have ever seen on this forum. This cries out for a composite with M81. Mind you, it would need a few panels in your big Newt! Could you 'Newt' M81 and get the intervening sky in something smaller? Bit of diffraction spike jiggery pokery from Noel's Actions and Bob's yer uncle.

Olly

• 2 weeks later...

Archived