Narrowband

One for the 'classic' eyepiece lovers

OK, I now have 2 17mm Televue smooth side Plossls and only need one. I can't decide which one to keep.

One is an absolutely perfect condition of the later type and the other is a very slightly scruffy earlier type with the lettering at the top, a circle J mark and Japan stamped into the barrel. Optics are perfect on both.

The coatings are obviously different on each eyepiece but I can't yet see any difference in performance (only had them a day).

I like the newer one as it looks nice but I'm a sucker for a classic.

I've read that the older ones are more collectable.

Any opinions on which is the best would be appreciated.

Actually I was hoping someone would be able to give any advise as to whether one has any advantage over the other in use.

In terms of resale value they would be pretty well identical. Apparently the older ones are more 'desirable' though. I just wondered if anyone could explain why?

I've owned a range of Tele Vue smooth side plossls and, while they performed the same, they seemed to fall into the 2 types that you have mentioned. I don't believe that the early types (engraved at the top of the barrel) are worth any more than the later ones, unless a collector is looking to complete a set but I suspect the slightly scruffy condition (as you put it) would be more of an influence on the value.

Do check and make sure that neither is a NEAF blemish one - that will affect the value. You can tell as Tele Vue put a punch mark on the body adjacent to the company name.

Personally I'd probably sell the scruffy one and give someone else the chance of owning a nice eyepiece at a good price.

Thanks for that!

I have put the newer one up for sale as It does have a couple of dings that I hadn't noticed in the original post and so is not quite in as perfect condition as first thought.

Niether of them is an NEAF one so that's OK.

All I need now is a 13mm and I'll be happy!

Archived