Narrowband

Collimating a Catadioptric Newtonian and a few Other Questions

Hello there, I have a Phenix make reflector and read that catadioptric newtonians are difficult to collimate. I have a small chunk of questions for anyone willing to give me a hand.

- How much more difficult will collimating be compared to a parabolic newt? Also will I need to do it more or less often, and need a tool other than a cheshire and sight tube/collimation cap?

- I'm a little confused about light shrouds. Are these only for truss style dobs?

- I have a 114mm aperture, will I benefit much from flocking?

- Since I am in a white zone, I thought I would get a light pollution filter fairly soon. 1) Do all makes fit all EPs? 2) What make or type should I get, or is there little difference between brands?

- I stumbled into an astronomy club's outreach day and was told that I might try extending the end of my tube with a stiff hood to reduce LP. Is this a good idea and if it is, what would I use for that?

- It's a little late, but would it be worth getting binoculars now that I have a score? And if still, where is a good place for a 70mm? I can't afford a £125 pair just now.

- I have a 2" extended for my focuser that makes it a lot quicker to change out EPs. Other than changing the focus point, how does this affect what I see? Is it a bad thing to use?

- I'm still keeping my tube and bits asides from the tripod and mount in the box it came in. In looking for a case, do I need to match the case brand with the scope brand or are they universal fits? Asides from that, I've seen suggestions about flight and gun cases, are these usually big or secure enough for the scope and accessories?

That's all for now, hope it isn't a hammer of inquiry <.< Thank you in advance,

Steven

Steven,

We'll have to limit you to a maximum of two questions per post!!:)

Let's see if I can help:

- How much more difficult will collimating be compared to a parabolic newt? I think it should be more similar to the SCT; I don't know your particular scope but it may only have secondary adjustment??

Also will I need to do it more or less often, I'd say less often

and need a tool other than a cheshire and sight tube/collimation cap? No these would be enough.

- I'm a little confused about light shrouds. Are these only for truss style dobs? Yes, any truss type telescopr tube.

- I have a 114mm aperture, will I benefit much from flocking?

IMHO not worth the effort!

- Since I am in a white zone, I thought I would get a light pollution filter fairly soon. 1) Do all makes fit all EPs? Generally yes

2) What make or type should I get, or is there little difference between brands? You pay your money, you take your chance!!

- I stumbled into an astronomy club's outreach day and was told that I might try extending the end of my tube with a stiff hood to reduce LP. Is this a good idea and if it is, what would I use for that?

A tube extension ( Dew Shield?) won't help LP unless there's a close nearby light shining directly onto the scope. It may help kee the dew off the optics.

- It's a little late, but would it be worth getting binoculars now that I have a score? And if still, where is a good place for a 70mm? I can't afford a £125 pair just now. Binoculars are always good to have. Can't recommend a brand.....someone will come along and give you some advice.

- I have a 2" extended for my focuser that makes it a lot quicker to change out EPs. Other than changing the focus point, how does this affect what I see? Doesn't usually affect the view. Is it a bad thing to use? No.

- I'm still keeping my tube and bits asides from the tripod and mount in the box it came in. In looking for a case, do I need to match the case brand with the scope brand or are they universal fits? Asides from that, I've seen suggestions about flight and gun cases, are these usually big or secure enough for the scope and accessories?

Yes, Maplin do smaller cases but the larger ones ( see the other threads on the subject) can be very expensive.

Now, no more questions..... for at least the next hour!:(;)

Sorry Merlin66,

I think the blizzard :( of questions might be my fault!

Hi Steven,

A very warm welcome to SGL. :eek:

You'll find everyone really friendly and willing to help us newbies out.

It's often said on here that the only dumb questions are the ones that you don't ask! :eek:

So ask away, there's always be someone that comes by with an answer.

:)

Viewing in light pollution: Rod Mollise, noted amateur astronomer and author was interviewed last year by the One Minute Astronomer on the topic urban viewing in light polluted areas. Here are links to the interview (its free). I think that you will find many useful bits of information there:

Urban Observer’s Survival Guide, Part I | One-Minute Astronomer

Urban Observer’s Survival Guide, Part II | One-Minute Astronomer

Urban Observer’s Survival Guide, Part III | One-Minute Astronomer

Archived