Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Collimator help

Steve - pistols please :(

Good lord - collimate the collimator, wrap teflon tape around things, shim focusers etc etc - seems a lot of bother when you could just bung a Cheshire in and get it right AND have something that can set the secondary mirror :eek:

Both my lasers were troublesome and both broke very fast even being well cared for. After that I decided on a Cheshire - no batteries, nothing to go wrong and just simpler all round.

We could do swords by the way but its only fair to warn you I used to be rather good at it. :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Steve - pistols please :(

Good lord - collimate the collimator, wrap teflon tape around things, shim focusers etc etc - seems a lot of bother when you could just bung a Cheshire in and get it right AND have something that can set the secondary mirror :eek:

Both my lasers were troublesome and both broke very fast even being well cared for. After that I decided on a Cheshire - no batteries, nothing to go wrong and just simpler all round.

We could do swords by the way but its only fair to warn you I used to be rather good at it. :)

I might invest in a Cheshire( never seen one) as I don't like the laser. can the whole thing not be done with the ep cap with the hole?by the time I collimated the collimator then cut the circle and marked the centre of pm and fiddled here and there I prob got it all set wrong, lol just need the star test to make sure. ( dam clouds).

what do I look for in the star test and can I use Mars for the test as its always right in front of my house and Polaris is the other side and would have to stand in middle of a road lol

• 3 months later...

I did the same as tophouse, only had to put one round of tape on the laser to make it a snug fit, then used the doughnut on the main mirror to set it up.

Orion Precision Eyepiece Centering Adaptor, looks good

No you cant use Mars as a star test target - take a look at my guide on collimation and at the bottom of the page there are some diagrams which show what you should look for.

Bear in mind its usually quite hard to get perfect airey disks as in the diagrams on my page - wobbly atmosphere usually stoes these - you will more likley see a sort of hazy doughnut shape.

Oh the guide is here Astro Babys Guide to Collimation

Archived