Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pentax XW 30mm

wulfrunian

I bought this eyepiece second hand off here a couple of weeks back, as it was on my wish list for some time in the future so I didn't want to miss the chance at used price! Finally got the chance to try it out on Sunday, just for an hour or so, under less than ideal skies - round about 50% cloud, increasing, and plenty of moisture in the atmosphere.

I'd been looking at the moon and M42 with shorter focal lengths; I hadn't expected to see much in M42 with the conditions, but it was well visible, so I popped in the Pentax. To be honest, I was prepared for disappointment, as I don't count myself as an expert, so wondered if I'd really see the difference in quality.

And, I was blown away! A very lovely view of the nebula, with the Trapezium stars pin sharp in the middle, set against a stunning backdrop of stars. For the first time, I also thought I could see M43 separately, though fleetingly. (I now want a 2" deep sky filter of course!!) Next I moved back to the moon to see how that looked. It was wonderful, around first quarter, showing lots of detail even at this magnification. Best of all was the sight of it swimming in space, with stars studded all around. Never seen it like this. After this I was thinking of looking for the Pleides, but they seemed to be lost in the glare of the moon - then I realised that the stars all round the moon must actually be the Pleides! - spectacular sight, am I right there? Finally I tracked down M35, not a cluster I've starhopped to before, but it didn't look hard to find, took me a bit but found it in the end, and was rewarded with a big eyepiece full of it.

As I said, I'm no expert, but I'm now completely hooked on this eyepiece; I think I could have spent all evening on each object, but sadly didn't have time! Best purchase I've ever made :eek:

Must agree with you there , the Pentax XW's are excellent eyepieces and after buying the 30mm when I bought my scopes I have since got the 20 and the 10mm and will definately keep them for as long as I can see through them. You definately get the "spacewalk " experience with these eyepieces.

I'm glad you're pleased with it :evil6:

Oh yes :D I was going to PM you but then I thought I'd share it!

How did I miss that? If you ever decide to sell it .....Mike

It was up for a whole day before I spotted it and got in there! I'll bear that in mind, but I'd have to either have given up the hobby, or really really need the cash :eek:

Archived