SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My first view of Saturn

johnkirkpatrick

You prob hear this all the time, But I feel over the moon...

Since I got my scope a month ago I have been happy viewing star clusters and Orion, but over the last few weeks I have been trying to view Mars and to be honest didn't really work with my scope and gave up on the planets, But tonight around 8.30pm I noticed Saturn, again, Just rising above a block of flats to the east of my back garden in the "shoulder" of Virgo and turn my scope for a chance look. And Bang straight away I could clearly make out the rings and a moon, Titan I think?

I haven't been able to make the rings out before and It took me by surprise and almost stopped breathing. I hope Saturn is still visible in July when I get my Skywatcher Skyliner 300p It will be my first target..:eek:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw Saturn for the first time last night. I was blown away too - it just looked too perfect to be real.

I've just checked Stellarium and I think you might be slightly out of luck for July. Saturn will be setting not that long after the sun. Curse those long summer days! But you might manage 30 minutes or so if you can find a low Western horizon.

I saw Saturn tonight for the first time using the SW Explorer 150P. Big improvement from the 60 mm frac. I saw it using that one about 3 years ago and at the time I thought it was incredible, (little yellow dot with ears...).

Tonight's view blew that away. It's a shame the rings are tipped up for the next couple of years. I can't estimate separations yet but I saw a bright moon 2-3 Saturn diameters to one side and a second much fainter moon 1 diameter to the other side, both dead in line with the rings. I couldn't make out any surface features, bands or anything, but could see a thin dark line where the rings cross the disc. I started observing about 10:30 and the best view was with a SW 10 mm EP + 2x Barlow (150x). I tried using a 6.4 mm Meade 4000 with the Barlow, but the view—though bigger—wasn't as sharp. 10:37 saw a meteor at about the same altitude as Saturn but slightly to the south and below Regulus.

I dragged my eldest son out of the house and told him to take a look. I hadn't told him what to expect and he went nuts after about 3 seconds when it dawned what he was seeing. That's been my best stargazing moment so far.

Made a quick sketch, then packed up and came inside for a wee dram. Purely to take the chill off you understand :eek:

Rik

:D:o:(

Thanks so much for these.. i just love reading first sighting reports, they bring back a lot of great memories.

I hadn't told him what to expect and he went nuts after about 3 seconds when it dawned what he was seeing. That's been my best stargazing moment so far.

:eek: Excellent! :evil6:

That's the best first sighting report i've ever read... wish i could have been there to see his reaction, lol. :p

I had quite a first night last night myself. The moon , Pleiades , Orion , Mars and Saturn.

I know what Breakintheclouds means , Saturn looked so surreal , as though someone was holding a picture of it in front of my telescope. I cant wait to see it at 200x. Had to go in not long after though as it was getting WELL below zero and 4 jerseys were just not doing it anymore

Had a great night though.

I'm hoping to get a look at Saturn again soon *old man shakes fist at clouds*. Ive never seen it with its ring system closed up. I wonder if i will be as blown away with it as i was the 1st time i saw it. Mind you i have a bigger scope now so i'll probably pass out with excitement.

Saturn first time memories are exciting. I first saw it in a Skywatcher 150 newt coupla years ago. The rings were about 30 degrees and it was awesome though small. Magnifying was difficult cos I was tracking manually out of a bedroom window - not even polar aligned lol.

Seen it since in an 8" schmit/cas but the rings were completely closed so it was a bit like a london tube logo.

Can't wait to get the 12" dob on it soon now the rings are opening up a bit. :eek:

saw saturn for the first time tonight with my new 5mm EP, it was really epic, 2 or 3 moons, rings, and yellowy cloudy banding around it, so much better compared to mars.

which I also took a look at while I was at it, and for some reason it was weird.. it had 2 spheres beside it I thought my EP was out of focus or something but I couldn't get rid of them.. was it some kind of lense flare or something causing it?

Saturn is amazing. We love taking our 66 around when we visit friends and letting let have a peek. With good seeing it always gets a wow!

There's something very satisfying about seeing the tiny spec and then noticing the rings (difficult in the small scope at the min).

I'll certainly be spending some time on it at Kielder. Can't wait!

Mike

:( Hi John , nice to share your joy !!

You just beat me to it - Im as inexperienced as you been looking at the Moon and Orion for last two weeks with my 6inch Dob but decided to look for saturn tonight, went out at 10pm just as it was sneaking up over the top of he houses, wasnt sure if the beautiful bright moon would detract totally from the view. But what can I say WOW and WOW again.

At first I could see two moons - but after watching it for an hour and a half I could definately make out 3 - best view was with the 10mm on its own - I dont own a barlow yet. The view from the 6.3mm was closer, but it was running out of my field of view so quickly I reverted back to the 10mm.

I was so excited I came running in the house and woke the kids up - how dare they sleep - I just wanted to share the moment - :)

Happy gazing -

I too had my first view of Saturn just a couple of nights ago. Wow! :headbang:

I'd agree with all the comments above - that view and feeling of excitement will stay with me for a very long time.

Starting with a 25mm EP I worked up in steps to a 10mm + 2x Barlow, which gave the best view. Stunning.

I was also very pleased that the motor on the EQ2-3 mount did a great job of keeping Saturn centred (once I'd connected up the RA & DEC round the right way :p). It let me know that I'd done a reasonable job of aligning with Polaris without a polar scope or any other aids.

It was also my first chance to use the Lidl bins I bought last week - very impressed with what you get for £14.

I also had my first view of Saturn the other night. I was out with my girlfriend (she got me the telescope from Aldi - 3.5" reflector :headbang: ) and I thought she was going to explode with excitement. I couldn't make out any moons but I didn't care too much because the planet itself is just awesome. Took me ages to find it but it was definitely worth the wait!

Last week I showed my young pal Saturn fir the first time with his 70mm frac, he was gobsmacked. Then I trained the 10" SNT on it and he near passed out and that was with my crappy cheapo EPs. I also realised how fortunate I am to have an almost uninterupted, horizon to horizon view of the ecliptic. If I go to the top field there's nothing in the way.

My favourite view of Saturn, after my first ever about 10 years or so ago, has to have been watching ISS pass below, through the 20x80s, with a pale sky and a couple of stars in the FOV.

8f3c1e62e33f84d7f76f039d7d13878b_4180.jpg?dl=1265829453

Saturn is a real jaw dropper for sure. To me it kinda looks a bit sureal and ghostly at first but as you keep watching suddenly the air stops milling and the razor sharp image snaps into view, albeit for a split second sadly:D but in a few moments it comes steady again and on it goes.

Roboticsound i would say go for it. Get yourself a dedicated planet eyepiece. I bought one off Ebay a while back and am really impressed with the performance. (Pentax 5.2mm) My preferance was originally for DSO`s but i must say with Mars & Saturn on offer having a planetary EP will put a grin on your face and the moon is..well..you`ll see:eek::headbang:

Clear Skies,

Will.

Saturn takes high power more readily than Mars does. I had a lovely session on it a few nights ago when I managed to see 6 moons with my 10" newtonian - 1st time I've seen Iapetus at all and 1st time I've seen Enceladus in my 10" - last time I saw it was in my old 12".

I totally agree with all the above. Saturn is just amazing. it even made one of my teenage daughters (the only one that would venture out in the cold) say 'whoaa' (and that's a lot for her to say about one of my hobbies - usually it's 'god dad, you are well embarrassing' or something similar). she was 'well impressed'.

I managed to get a better look the other night and saw at least 3 moons, but was trying to see the Cassini division. I eventually managed it but only after realising that it's well out - further than I thought and you need to be looking in the right place at the moments of clarity or you'll miss it.

it's shown quite well here

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-planetary/99091-saturn-7th-march.html

My first view of Saturn was on 10th March. I had to wait for it to appear from behind the house. I think the wait, which I spent observing Mars and M42, made the moment when I managed to get it in the field of view all the better. I wasn't sure what to expect. I knew it wouldn't be the colourful spectacle that I'd seen in books and magazines but when it came into focus I was surprised at how clear it was, how obvious the rings were and the yellowis hue.

I've viewed it every clear night since (alas, not nearly enough) and it hasn't lost it's special appeal.

Dave

I read the Original Post and that got me thinking about my first time seeing Saturn through a scope. I can't remember it! I am rather jealous of you folks. You should cherish these memories always.

About the best I can do is when i showed my wife, then she was my girlfriend, a occultation of Saturn by the Moon. She still talks about that.

Thanks for sharing!

New to the hobby, just bought an Orion xt10 classic today! A bit cloudy tonight, nothing visible to the naked eye - but there was a little breakup in the clouds, spotted something fairly bright, used the red dot finder, put in a 7mm eyepiece, and wow!!! Rings, Saturn came into view!!! Quite a thrill and a great start. Was even able to track without much effort (if nothing else super Mario brothers gave me decent motor skills). Can't wait for a clear night to see more!

Archived