SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Call me Quasimodo

I know this is a newbie question but I just want to make sure I am not missing something obvious:

I am 6'3 and when trying to aim My 'scope at somewhere up high (Plaeides last night for example) I have to scrabble around on the floor to see through the RDF

Is this normal?

I can't put My tripod higher because it gets shaky the higher it goes (naturally)

(I have a Celestron Astromaster eq130 and it comes with a cheapish tripod)

The other "problem" I came across last night is when changing viewing from Mars say to Orion Nebula ...the eyepiece is now on the other side of the ETA and i have to bend double to see through it.

I hear the cries of "Turn the ETA in its rings" but then that unbalances the 'scope and I have to balance it again....

I thought of putting a piece of tape to mark the correct position...any other ideas?

thanks for listening and I cannot wait until SGL5 to see other (more experienced ) people using their equipment so i can pick up some tips

Turning it in it's rings is the answer to both your questions, you can place a bit of tape if you like, it doesn't unbalance it if you simply rotate it in the rings, only if you allow any up/down movement quasi.

Hahahaa Quasi ! cracker ! :eek::D:D

Hey... Im the same height and had exactly the same problems (always turning the scope in its rings) until I tried a different way of setting up.

Try this:

1) Setup the mount to go as high as poss (and level it)

2) Before you mount the OTA, rotate it in the tube ring until the focuser is pointing down - basically so its in line with your dovetail bar (see photo).

3) Mount it all up, then check the balance (marking the balance point with masking tape for future reference).

When you first fire the system up, you obviously wont be able to look through it until you slew to your first target. But once you do - it all becomes clear, perfect height! The focuser might be upside-down sometimes, but dont let that bother you. Honestly, there isnt one occasion where ive had to rotate things to get a better view since adopting this method.

The only drawback is sometimes the finderscope gets a bit hard to see through (thats only cos I use the finderscope on the ST80), but the EP should be fine most of the time - and if your GoTo is set up well enough (if you have it) then you wont really need the finderscope.

Dont forget the masking tape! An invaluable tool for the AA :eek:

post-18171-133877427934_thumb.jpg

Archived