740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

Working driver set for the QHY5

NickH

Can anyone post me one... as this rancid pile of doo doo which they supply ...well, I would have fired the driver developers a long time ago..

Apparently the updated cmosdll.dll is no longer on the belgian site , which now links to some QHY forums, which...aaaggghhh :-)

What a munge...

Anyway TIA if anyone can post a working driver set for PHD..

Tested one last night and it just provided vertical bands in PHD...and sent the mount off on a jolly when calibrating..

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

XP32 pro

Drivers from QHY website

Tried a stock driver install and selected CCD labs in PHD...nada

Copied the new dll recommended by a bazillion websites... nada

Launch QGVideo...works first time...

Seriously...this camera (and judging by the hundreds of online posts about this driver issue) has sucky drivers...

Hi Nick,

Just a thought. If you're having some much bother with the qhy 5, why are so many people saying it's the greatest thing since sliced bread ? I was thinking of buying one in the future but you may have managed to put me off. If you can't fix the thing, I certainly wouldn't.

Good luck.

Dave.

I also would imagine drivers are the death of the Opticstar guider as well.

Dave...

It's down to driver config...the one I bought didn't come with any...(s/h) so, logically I went to the manufacturer website to get drivers etc...

There is a way to get it working...Bern in the past sent me updated dll files etc, which with another one I tested, worked... (long time ago)...

My point is....I can get it to work (just installed using another method on another website), but the driver set that comes with it is carp...utter carp...and judign by the huge number of posts about this, it's high time they did something about a working installer/driver set...in logical places..

Update- just checked PHD program file, I had installed the CMOS.dll file as well as the QHY5ASCOM driver :eek:

The drivers have always been a huge source of confusion/problems Davew, no arguement there, just have to read all the threads other than this one. In all honesty, I'm lucky I guess cos everything worked perfectly from day 1 . I've never been tempted to uninstall the drivers I've got to replace them with the updated versions."if it aint broke don't fix it"

Sorry I can't help with further suggestions Nick, other than try Bern's site.

Edited by beamish

I must have been one of the lucky ones...

Bought the QHY5 a year ago, installed the software as per the basic instruction sheet received with the unit. Runs like a charm...

I use it with AstroArt 4 and PHD etc etc etc.

No issues for me......

Ken

Nick, I assume you've now got it up and running, if not drop me a PM and I'll send you a copy the QHY5 driver folder I use.

NOTE: this refers to a QHY5 and not the video version which I think is the QHY5v

I had trouble when I first installed it, but running 7/64 bit. Wouldn't recognise the camera using the CCD labs driver - did recognise it using the ASCOM QHY5 driver, but just got a black screen. What I found was that if I used the camera with QGVideo, it worked, then PHD, it didn't. If I only used PHD it worked using the ASCOM driver.

That was using the drivers listed on the forum for the QHY5, Windows 64 bit. You don't get drivers supplied when you buy it new, just a sheet telling you where to get them. This gives you the beta drivers, not the latest drivers indicated on the forum, which are the release version rather than the beta version.

M.

P.S. I agree that it is a complete mess, and forking out for one of these I'd expect a set of drivers to be shipped with it and clear instructions for setting up and usage - not an A5 sheet telling me where I can download some old Beta drivers, and little else of any use. The QHY5 may be a good price, but they have been around long enough to have this stuff nailed down by now.

M.

Ken, that folder would be great, and as for reg key deletion, useful too (to have online)

Of all the cameras I have tested (in the dozens) this is the worst driver setup by far (not used opticstar though....:-))..and from memory less sensitive than my little DSI-C by a long shot too...

Still...it's a one cable solution and cheap... :-)

Edited by NickH

The Opticstar shipped with drivers, the only problem I had was the faffing around with unlock codes to get at them working with the software that shipped on the driver disks (essentially versions of Stark-labs software). The QHY5 seems infinitely better than than the Opticstar, or a CMOS webcam in terms of capturing images. Still not got the guiding set up yet though - mainly due to cloud and what the doc says is probably bronchitis.

M.

It's not a major headache at the mo, as the QHy was only bought as a backup/star party solution (the DSI is way better/more sensitive), but it's just a joke how bad these drivers are...

Edited by NickH

Conclusion: Ken (Merlin66) sent me a zip file with drivers, and a CMOSDLL.DLL file, neither of which matched anything I previously had found, and it worked first time, no issues at all.

So... conclusion, someone needs to make this setup available online...in a one stop download..rather than links from the likes of Bern's site to some site in Belgium which links to some forum, which doesn't work, and has beta test drivers

It's up to the suppliers and manufacturers to resolve these problems, Ben I suspect probably still supplies a "driver set" for anyone who buys one from him anyway...knowing him as I do...he's a good bloke like that!

Still prefer the DSI-C... :-)

Just read this thread...and see what an utter mess (reg hacking , driver locations/ beta's version no.s etc) this is..

Two people here have come to the rescue...it can't be that damn hard for a manufacturer to put a working complete driver and dll set together can it? (and not have to point to forums or Belgium for it!!)

Thanks guys.... job done..!

Just read this thread...and see what an utter mess (reg hacking , driver locations/ beta's version no.s etc) this is..

Two people here have come to the rescue...it can't be that damn hard for a manufacturer to put a working complete driver and dll set together can it? (and not have to point to forums or Belgium for it!!)

Thanks guys.... job done..!

Can't agree more Nick, it is so simple to do this, so why the run around, it happens far to often.