Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

RS-232 cable

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Astronomiser (Astronomiser - Automated Astronomy and AstroImaging Solutions) produce a wide range of cables for mounts, as well as USB-RS232 adapters. You can pick up an RS-232 adapter on Amazon - but read the reviews, as some won't work, and the one that does has some feedback about using it with Celestron mounts.

You need to give more information for a more specific response.

M.

Hi all thanks for the advice i am trying to link my latop up to the scope so i can run it through stellerium the istuction book says i need a RS-232 cable that has a male plug on one end which i presume will plug into the hand control and a 4-4 telephone jack at the other end. However my laptop would not accept a 4-4 telephone jack so i guess it would have to be usb. The mount i am using is the german CG-5 mount which also has an autoguider port on but the instuctions say this is for a CCD camera. Sorry if i sound a bit confused here but i am. Thanks in advance for anymore help on this.

Hi everyone and special thanks to mishmich i logged on to astronomiser and the cable i needed was the first one in their list of cables for celestron scopes. Needless to say i hope one is winging its way out to me as i write this. No doubt once it arrives and i get it connected i will be seeking more advice.

Thanks again

Mick

It's the other way arounf the PC end is a D-type 9 pin male plug but most laptops dont have a serial port. If this is the case what you need is a USB to serial port convertor device (with a Prolific chipset) that provides a 9 way Female D-Type socket output. You then plug it into a celestron lead which has the 9 way D-type male plug at one end with a standard PC RS232 pinout and the RJ11 (telephone style ) plug at the other end which is wired for the scope you have. There is no stanard lead that you can buy from a high street retailer.

If you are capable of soldering and have the time you can buy the bits to make a lead from some where like maplins, they also sell the USB to RS232 adapter. There is bound to be pinout info for you scope model on the web.

Regards

Kevin

Hi

I have bought from astronomiser a few times and have had no trouble with products from them. I take it you have an RS232 port on your pc, if not you will need the Prolific pl2303 usb - serial adapter also available at astronomiser. Be aware that some usb-serial adapters on the market are not up to the job :eek: astronomiser`s are. What version of stellarium are you using and what operating system ? I ask because there is now Stellarium 0.10.3 which has all its own built in mount drivers which removes the need for the Ascom platform.

Regards

Brett

Hi

It depends on your operating system, I use a Sony Vaio with only 1gb of ram and it works perfectly for me. You don't have to get rid of stellariumScope or ascom as you can set the new 0.10.3 to use external drivers rather than its own. Its worth a try if it all fails then you can easily fall back on 0.10.2.

The new stellarium also has a facility to update its satellite data at a frequency of your choice.

Regards

Brett

Hi guys the cable arrived on tuesday and as you say i now need the adapter which i will be getting from astronomiser i am running stellerium 0.10.3 when i get the adapter i will update you on how easy or not it is to get up and running as i have never done this before. We shall see how easy it is for a newbie like myself into the art controlling a scope by computer.

Thanks again for the advice.

Thanks Brett i have downloaded stellerium 0.10.4 on my main pc as it as the correct serial port went into configuration and set the port at port 3 and set for celestron nexstar. stellarium then says it is connected it then tells u to click on a star press control and then the number on th port which i did yet the telescope did not move if u have any more advice it would be much appreciated.

Archived