Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Horsehead

mikeglr

Hi all

just wondered what are my chance's of imaging the horse head neb from my garden , I'm using a ten inch newt with unmodded dslr due to light pollution can only get one minute photo's in my garden . Thought I'd ask as didn't want waste a night imaging if I've got no chance with such short photos

Hi,

I attempted this subject last year with an unmodified Canon EOS300D, and I was able to get a result. I wouldn't call it a good one though, the HH is faint and I had a lot of trouble pulling anything out of the background and I think I was taking 2 minute subs (can't be sure on this they may have been longer).

Since then I've had the camera modified and I use a CLS clip filter too to deal with the light pollution. This definitely gives much better results.

If you didn't want to get the camera modified the you could just try using a light pollution filter to extend your exposure times.

:eek:

Chris

Why can you only get 1 minute subs, do you not have a light pollution filter or is it because of guiding. With a 10" Newt and unmodded DSLR you should still be able to capture it, but need a light pollution filter and try for 2-3 Minute exposures @ ISO800 or ISO1600, get as many exposures as possible and stack using Deep Sky Stacker, it is certainly possible with your equipment.

Archived