sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

North of Scotland Aurora.

The kp index hit the 4 to 5 mark last night so had a look out ot see if there was a green glow on the horizon. Its times like these that i wished i lived in Iceland or Northern Norway.

Hopefully as we approach solar max the aurora oval will make it down to our latitude so i can get that overhead wavy curtain effect aurora.Here's hoping anyway.

Bit of a noisy shot,woudn't win any prizes but its nice to capture one considering how few and far between they've been over the last few years.

Nearly forgot,thats a dog left of bottom center that wandered in and looked up for about 5 seconds then wandered off again.

Shot taken from Thurso beach looking across the Pentland Firth towards Orkney.

IMG_5319flickr-1.jpg

Edited by saturn5

Those are some pretty big green light tubes you have captured S5, how did you bend them? ;)

The last big display I remember was about 2003 October, the sky was alive in Glenlivet, ( nothing to do with the whisky ;) ) Unfortunately, the display was fighting with the clouds.

Archie

ps. love the ghost dog, bet he is cheap to keep.:p

Super shot! Would really like to get up north to see this (I feel a trip coming on later!);)

P.S. I have a dog like that always manages to force her way into the shot without anyone noticing. I'm surprised she hasn't managed to creep into my Mars shots!!;)

Scott

I take it that's a Jack Russell? We have one. Even when I think I've managed a shot without her in, when I look at the image, she's there, right in the corner, just out of the FOV of the viewfinder. Sneaking in mid shot and taking up position though - that's a sneaky trick. But they are sneaky.

Fantastic shot. Wish I'd visited Iceland & Norway at the right time of year for this. Had hoped to get there before we move south, but looks like it won't happen. I didn't realise you could see this from Scotland.

M.

Edited by MishMich

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

HA! nice one! this was taken on my birthday too! and i live in Orkney! but i have a feeling i would of been to drunk to have noticed!! haha but have seen loads of auroras over the years, i remember one summer it was almost garenteed every singal night, even in twilight!

Michael.

• 5 months later...
HA! nice one! this was taken on my birthday too! and i live in Orkney! but i have a feeling i would of been to drunk to have noticed!! haha but have seen loads of auroras over the years, i remember one summer it was almost garenteed every singal night, even in twilight!

Michael.

Orcadian myself but jumped across the firth to Thurso 35 years ago.

Yes ,there have been some superb displays over the years,one of the very few advantages of living at 59N.