Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Norton's Star Atlas

opps!

Have just got a second hand copy of this book now, aswell as 'Backyard Astronomers Guide'.

I could have sworn I told my wife that I would ease up on the buying! Oh dear!

The reviews look ok to me but, what do you guys/gals reckon?

I have heard that it's excellent but a bit on the deep side!! For me, too much info is better than not enough!!

btw.. still cloudy here in Norfolk! Fess up.... who's just bought a scope?? ;)

I've have various editions of Nortons since 1964.

It helped me when I started and has been a constant "friend" ever since.

The handbook section will answer 99% of any questions you may have, and the Mag 6 maps are ideal for naked eye, bino's and finders.

Ken

" Fess up.... who's just bought a scope?? :rolleyes:"

Well given I have ordered one, and next stocks in won't be for about 2 weeks, I reckon 7 - 10 days before it arrives with me there'll be the most stunning viewing conditions for centuries, then as soon as it arrives, to be instantly followed by thick cloud, fog, rain, volcanic ash, and a meteorite shower that gives a reflective metallic coating to the upper atmosphere that hangs around for months (but which allows 'over the horizon' viewing of a particularly boring part of the Sargosso Sea).

If current Met Office forecasts are anything to go by, my forecast will likely have a far higher probability of being accurate (my 'climate model' being a bit of seaweed). ;)

For perspective, the current severe weather forecast for mid-Wales was timed to start earlier than the posted forecast time - I think someone either looked out of the window, or spotted the temperature warning in the dashboard of their car on their way into work . . . . ;)

PS. With the thread title, my hopes went up that Norton were finally launching a new motorbike.

Nortons Star Atlas is widely regarded as the Astronomers Bible.

It's a most useful addition to any amateur astronomers library.

Mine is so tattered with use, I should replace it being so old.

Don't have the heart though.;)

Ron.

Great reply Ogri! Think you should bring a book out yourself! ;)

Good news that I have not bought a 'red-herring' (could this be a new Astro term??) so thank you for the positive feedbacks. Glad I bought it now. Incidently mine was a £1.ish job with £2.75 postage.

Now I just need to work on my defence when it gets delivered and I'm not there!!!!

Any ideas on 'Astronomy addiction excuses'? (Another thread topic there me thinks too!!) ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived