SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Backyard Astronomers Guide

What a fabulous book!! ;)

Got a so-called second hand copy from Amazon uk for £5.50 + £2.75 postage.

It arrived three days later and is in mint condition!!

Think that the new version is what, £30? (feel free to correct me guys and gals!)

So yeah I'm blagging a bit but, what a wealth of info it has. Must be a definate for every astronomer!!

(No I get no royalties either!!) ;)

I got this book a few years ago and Im sure I paid a dashed sight more than £5.50 . ;)

well done Brendanof, you cant beat a good book bargain.:p

I picked up the Dorling Kindersley book "Universe" in a charity shop a while back for £2.50 and its a stunning book, large format , fantastic illustrations and loads of great info, and at £27.50 less than the published price I reckon it was a bargain.;)

There is a "Backyard Astronomer" website by the same guys who wrote the book, and another book written by Dickinson and well worth getting is " Nightwatch".

Cheers Crepitis for the books info!! Don't think my wife will like me getting more books but, when there's a bargain you have to go for it!!

And in a funny way I actually prefer used books as, they have a history!!

Am I weird? That could be a new thread!!

£19.50 Coxi seemd like a fine price too! It's a BIG book - literally.

Mine is the revised version but not the latest! Doh!

• 3 weeks later...

Yes it is a brilliant book. I borrowed an earlier edition from my club and it wasn't a patch on the new edition. The quality of the paper and the overall production is superb but this comes at a price because it is quite heavy (i.e. not good for reading in bed laying down!).

I would go so far as to say that this it is one of the best books that I have owned on any subject.

Regards

Nick

As a general rule of being a 'cheap so and so' I tend not to purchase books right off. Instead I like to go to my local library and see if a copy is available. I thumb through it to see if it holds any promise and if it does then I check it out and read it.

The book the OP is talking about was SO GOOD that I immediately went online at amazon and purchased one so I wouldn't have to keep going back and forth to the library to look things up.

Great book.

Can't you renew library books by going online nowadays?

Sure, but most libraries only allow you to renew the checked out item 1 or 2 times before requiring you to return the item.

Archived