SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What do you wear?

Andrew*

I got all my warm gear on last night, looking forward to a nice observing session. It took about 15 minutes to get everything on. Funnily enough, that's about the same length of time it takes clouds to come over in Scotland ;)

Anyway, I took the opportunity to show off my warm gear, with some persuation from the good lady!

Here's a diagram of this Scottish Astronomer......... What do you wear?

P.S. Kielder nights call for several more layers than this...

post-13113-133877426772_thumb.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's much better to wear clothing matching your equipment, matching the neoprene dew shileds we have this character, another photo sees his wife looking after his 'bagged' OTA

ROFL - sure you posted this in the right forum? ;)

Ooo-err

Normally for observing it takes me about 20 minutes to gear up. Its a bit like putting a space suit on.

In order of geting it on....

Layer 1 -thermals and wooly tights

Layer 2 - thermal vest, thick socks go on the feet

Layer 3 - thin jumper and jeans apllied over the first lot

Layer 4 - second thin jumper

Layer 5 - fleece and heavy duty boots

Layer 6 - windproof jacket and thermal gloves plus wooly scarg wrapped round head.

On a serious note i can seriously vouch for these :-

boom 80 thermal boots size 9 / 43 moon boot on eBay (end time 03-Mar-10 10:59:32 GMT)

I used to do a LOT of fishing in all weathers and i have never come across anything as warm EVER and they'll last almost a lifetime as the inners come out and you can replace them for a tenner!

US Extreme Cold Weather Boots These black extreme cold weather boots, also known in the military as Mickey Mouse Boots, have been field tested and proven to keep your feet toasty in temperatures as low as -30º C (-22º F). The multiple layers of wool felt provide an insulation to protect your feet in subzero temperatures, and the waterproof rubber exterior keeps your feet dry and warm. Perfect for hunting, snowmobiling, ice fishing and just about any other activity where cold and moisture are a factor.

First issued to U.S. GIs during the Korean War, the Mickey Mouse Boots are designed for combat and shielded against water and extreme cold. A wool lined interior and several layers of rubber serve as insulation. Their most distinguishable features are their giant size. Reminded of the iconic cartoon character, soldiers joked they were in Mickey Mouse's shoes.

That incarnation of a cold weather boot was derived from the earlier "shoepac" of WWII. These were white, but not as thick or durable - they were intended as an outer layer for shoes. Shoepacs did not stand up to the bitter cold snap of the winter of 1951 in Korea, when temperatures plunged far below their average, and army tents were scant protection. At a time when men were wearing their sleeping bags during the day to keep from freezing, Mickey Mouse boots were highly valued as a vast improvement over the protection of ordinary leather boots covered in shoepacs. The boots prevented frostbite even at -20 or —30 degrees Fahrenheit (-29 to - 34 Celsius). Many generations of the military have continued to wear these boots also called M&M. Now they're available in black, special moisture- wicking liners, and ratings down to an amazing —60 degrees Fahrenheit (-51 Celsius). Through Surplus and Adventure Army Surplus store the average outdoor adventurer can buy the Mickey Mouse boots. Backpackers, fishers, or campers exposed to ice, snow, and water can enjoy their sport without fear of frozen toes.

Condition: NEW

LIMITED SPECIAL OFFER

A great pair of Extreme Cold Weather Boots for ONLY £9.95

'scuse the expletive, but, blumming hell!!! £9.95?!? Even with the £6.95 delivery charge, that's a great deal. Pity though, that I've already forked-out £80+ for a pair of (admittedly fantastic) Hi-Tec walking boots. I'm tempted to just buy a pair, and justify it by booking a trip to the North Pole. ;)

I lounge around the house in a pair of jogging bottoms and a t-shirt. When I head out into the garden to view the night sky I just put on a pair of trainers, a fleece jacket and my trusty wooly hat.

Being a fat bloke with a beard has advantages ;)

Thinking about getting myself a pair of fleece lined mickey mouse boots. Can't really complain, considering the cost.

US Extreme Cold Weather Boots, Mickey Mouse Boots, Surplus and Adventure secure online Army Surplus store, S&A

:DAndy.

What a deal!!!

Wow, it's a shame I have such small feet!! No accumulative layers of socks would enable me to fit into those! ;)

The 'staywarm' rule i always use is to bundle up as though it was 30 degrees (F) colder than it actually is. ;)

Warm clothing layers are topped by a goose down coat, rabbit fur hat, and thickly insulated ski pants. My feet are kept warm by ice fishing boots rated to -40C. They're 2 sizes larger than my shoes and comfortably fit a few pairs of warm socks. When it's below -12C i also slip on a pair of 'boot blankets'.. they're like a sleeping bag for your feet. Oh, and i also make sure i'm never standing directly on the ground.. use a piece of thick carpeting or a folded blanket.

Chemical heat packets are great, too. Toss one in each boot and one in each glove and you're nice and toasty. ;)

post-13732-133877426964_thumb.jpg

Warm clothing layers are topped by a goose down coat, rabbit fur hat, and thickly insulated ski pants. My feet are kept warm by ice fishing boots rated to -40C. They're 2 sizes larger than my shoes and comfortably fit a few pairs of warm socks. When it's below -12C i also slip on a pair of 'boot blankets'.. they're like a sleeping bag for your feet. Oh, and i also make sure i'm never standing directly on the ground.. use a piece of thick carpeting or a folded blanket.

;)

I bet you look great in that and have to fight the men off lol

Personally, I still rely on Lulu's green hat.....

A lime green mohair hat can't be beat! ;)

I saw a load of them in a warehouse the other week. Maybe I shoud have bought them and sold them at SGL5?!;)

Archived