Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wolves and Black Country observing group...

wulfrunian

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didnt make it either Barry. Modem packed up so no comunication. Spent an hour in back garden but seeing wasnt that great Jupiter was about all I could see. Gave up around

Mid Night

• 3 weeks later...

Just a head's up that tonight's Saturn Night on Barr Beacon is rained off. :-(

Poo.

Just got back from a week in Norfolk and we had 1 night of amazing clear skies, and cloud the rest of the time.

Clearly I have angered the weather gods. :-(

I will reschedule another barr beacon night soon, but it may be short notice, I will post any updates here...

Morgan

Hmmm just come across this thread, I have neglected the star gazing lately as I have had a bit of a rough time health wise but back on track now.

If you are still accepting members to your group, I would be interested in joining you all and learning. I am a relative newcommer and still have loads to learn so the chance to meet some friendly old sages would be most welcome.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Any one been up Titterstone Clee Hill , Ive notice on Google maps there is a carpark and it looks like its open to the general public and its hight up, not sure what the light pollution is like round there, I might take a ride up in the next two weeks to see whats its like.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Any one been up Titterstone Clee Hill , Ive notice on Google maps there is a carpark and it looks like its open to the general public and its hight up, not sure what the light pollution is like round there, I might take a ride up in the next two weeks to see whats its like.

I've been there a couple of times. Very dark, and a bit scary if you are on your own (I was.. eek!) . I have read other reports complaining about local lights and sky-glow from somewhere (Kidderminster?) . Well that just wasn't my experience. The sky was stunning.  Can be a bit windy though - my Portamount was getting thoroughly battered on one occasion so gave up and just used binos.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!  

Just popping on to let you know that MeteorWatch is back on at Barr Beacon this year - we are doing the Taurids (general astronomy, maybe a couple of meteors) and the Geminids, plus we will be doing 3 nights for Stargazing Live in January.  Here's the MeteorWatch flyer, and don't forget to like Walsall Looks Up on facebook.  You can follow/participate on twitter #WalsallLooksUp...  Hope to see you there, weather permitting - I'VE EVEN GOT A TEA/COFFEE VAN COMING THIS YEAR! OMG!!

1380480_534286636640473_466777729_n.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Howdy! I'm originally from Great Barr and ex Barr Beacon School but am in the Black Country now. Family all live still on the Pheasey/ Park Farm estates.

Anyway I've always been fascinated by the nightsky and just bought my first 'proper' telescope, a celestron 127slt. 

I've had some awesome early views of Jupiter and hope these cold winter nights give some clear skies.

I may be able to help with a dark sky site for you guys as well.

My sister has moved to a farm in the Peak District, Upper Hulme, and hopes to have camping facilities soon and it would be great to get a load of amateur astronomers up there in the middle of nowhere with no light pollution. You could show us both how to navigate the skies. She had a telescope for Christmas last year but I'm not sure it has left the box yet! 

Let me know if you have any plans for meeting up, Barr Beacon is fine for me, Black Country is good as well.

Hi Vacuum, We have meteorwatch planned for Barr Beacon on Saturday, but the weather is not looking great - I will post on here either way by 2pm Saturday to say if we are going ahead.  If cancelled, we will try to roll back to Sunday.  Gates are the Pheasey end of the site, on the corner of Bridle Lane and Beacon Road, open at 8.30pm.  Its very informal, but usually a great night, regularly 40-50 people up there.

We've also got 3 Stargazing Live events up on Barr Beacon.  A bit more formal (but only slightly), we will have a truck with wifi so people can play with stellarium and hopefully watch SGL clips, and we will be selling hot drinks too.  Plus two nights for National Astronomy Week on 1st and 8th March.  You are very welcome to attend any/all of these.  We're asking that for the 2014 events people book their (free) tickets - just so that I can have an idea of numbers and have a way to contact people if it is rained off, etc.  You can book them by following links here:

http://www.walsall.gov.uk/walsalllooksup

But you don't need to book for Saturday, just come along, bring something to sit on and a hot drink.  It gets mighty cold up on that hill!! :-)

-Morgan

1450338_566413620094441_174463023_n.jpg

Just letting everyone know that as I'm sure you have gathered, there is heavy rain forecast for this evening, and I am postponing the Barr Beacon MeteorWatch event until Tuesday, which is the next dry night forecast.

Hope to see some of you there,

Morgan 

• 2 weeks later...

The skies over my part of the Black Country are clearer now our enlightened Council have

destroyed the orange uplights and replaced them with a blue glow. I'll willingly join your

star-gazing gang but  in name only as I'd hate to show my ignorance!

Archived