SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Wolves and Black Country observing group...

wulfrunian

Hey people, I think i need to become more of a social astronomer and get out and met some of you guys, afterall it was close to two years ago that I said I would try and get out to do some observing. Plus I was lucky enough to have met Haitch not long ago and he seemed pretty alright so if the rest of you are just as nice then I cant be in bad company :p Can you let me know when you are planning your next get together and I can hopefully make it along. Thanks X :)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't mind a meet up with the gang. Back garden is ok but I have a street lamp next to it and haven't had the bottle to give it a good kick yet.

My EQ3 is massively overloaded but I still managed some images. It has a 150pl, canon 50D plus x2Barlow and a Telrad on it. You can hear it screaming for forgiveness. Mind you....I scream when I have to lift it back in the house. It also has 2 extra 1 kg Tesco counterweights to help balance it. £1.98 each.Bargain.

I have just seen this group via a post from Hiatch on another page.

I am from Stourbridge too and have been looking for a small organised local group to go out with and learn a bit more, meet some new faces etc from these forums.

There is only so much you can view from a back garden surrounded by houses and street lights! I would love to find some dark skies, I have no idea where to start...Hopefully you might be able to help :p

Many Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan,

Our worst problem is a lack of organisation. We basically post up here when we are free, the weather is good and the moon isn't too intrusive. Anyway as an attempt to be more organised here are the dates of the Saturday nights between now and the end of May when the moon shouldn't be a problem...

17/3 Doesn't rise until 4:13

24/3 <5% illumination, Sets at 20:54 SGL weekend (I'm there)

14/4 Doesn't rise until 3:42

21/4 New Moon weekend My birthday on the Friday so I'll probably be out

12/5 Doesn't rise until 2:08

19/5 Sets at 19:46

So, if the clouds play ball, I'll be looking to get out any of those apart from 24/3 or 21/4.

Maybe with a bit of organisation we can actually do some observing as a group this season! :p

Btw in case you hadn't spotted we go up Cosford which is about as dark as it gets without going right out into Wales for us. The Milky Way is visible from there at least. Some skyglow low down in the direction of W'ton but cetainly better than being stuck in a back garden. Nice low horizons too!

Hey,

Well I will be really interested in travelling over to Cosford and the other sites to see those delights of the sky! I have only had the opportunity to see a really dark sky a couple of times and actually stand and observe (normally the gf is pulling on my sleeve to get a move on! lol).

Ok cool, well i've noted those dates and will keep an eye on the forecast and on this forum and see if we can get something on the go...I might get my 2" UHC Filter by then to give it a whirl if we do Cosford, be the perfect place to try it!

Great, I hope to see/speak with you soon! :p

Dan.

Not been on here for ages, due to my job (can't complain as it pays the bills!) now I've finally got it under control ad now have more spare time I'm back :) lol

So what have I missed!

Come on Steve, you know us lot... You haven't missed much. :) Some new faces joining in but no visits to the site. Have to say I'm in desperate need of some good sessions under dark skies.

Come on Steve, you know us lot... You haven't missed much. :) Some new faces joining in but no visits to the site. Have to say I'm in desperate need of some good sessions under dark skies.

Yeh and me. Really missed popping over to the site.

Hi Haitch, I do have a few probs with vibration I find it quite hard to focus properly as when I'm moving the focuser the scope vibrates then when it settles, focus generally isn't that great so its a bit hit and miss. Cant complain for £75 though. I am looking to upgrade mount in the future and I'm thinking of going the whole hog and getting the best I can now so I don't have to upgrade again! (NEQ6 pro synscan)

Geoff, take a look at an EQ6 in the flesh before committing - they are huge and very heavy!

I moved up to an CG5. No where hear as capable as an EQ6 but much lighter and still pretty steady with its 2" steel tube legs.

Some tips I came across for making the mount more stable are...

Keep the legs as short as you can (viewing sitting down helps with this), fill the legs with something (sand is nice and dense or, for something that won't add too much weight, spray filler foam is, I'm told, a good alternative) and hang a weight off the tripod.

Come on Steve, you know us lot... You haven't missed much. :icon_scratch: Some new faces joining in but no visits to the site. Have to say I'm in desperate need of some good sessions under dark skies.

Yes I too got myself back on the forum after ages away, to find that nothing had happened :)

Will try and make a note of those dates, and who knows, we might actually make it this time :)

Yes I too got myself back on the forum after ages away, to find that nothing had happened :)

Will try and make a note of those dates, and who knows, we might actually make it this time :)

Agree we should all try and get over there when the skies are clear :icon_scratch:

Archived