Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wolves and Black Country observing group...

wulfrunian

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:icon_salut: not tonight...

Set up in back garden now!

:rolleyes:Forgot haven't used the 200 for 12months+ (since I collimated)

Think it prudent to prove collimation before 'outing'

Cloud permitting...

I am free Saturday 11th if that fits in with anyone else ???

Mark

i've decided I'm definitely going out later.. I've just been looking on the map and think I'm going to head for either white lady's priory in albrighton or halfpenny green off the bridgnorth road in wombourne. Halfpenny green is more appealing as I think it would have a bigger sky and with your back to the lp of wolves could be best. If anyone fancy's it just pm me and I'll give you the exact spot i'll be.

Matt

So I went out last night for the first time since I've had my new kit. I decided on a spot I would consider dark near seisdon behind the seven stars pub. I set the kit up and started looking up. I'd been reading a few books and had an idea what I wanted to see.

First thing that surprised me was how bad the light pollution actually is. There was probably a quarter of the sky that didn't have the orange halo hanging in it. I waited until my scope had cooled, my eyes adjusted and focused on the moon. I'd read a thread that suggested I make sketches of what I see so focused on the craters and after a while started drawing. I then dropped down and had a look at Jupiter, I saw a few moons and colour detail of the planet. I also sketched this in my book.

I got my scope focused on Orion and the nebula. I could see a dust cloud with stars that looked as if they were inside of it but no colour. I tried all 3 ep's but couldn't get a better view of it than with the 25mm. I took a friend with me to show him but he was restless and cold so cut the night short (last time I take him out). I'm not even 100% sure this was what I was after but fingers crossed it was.

All in all I'm very happy at what I had seen. With more experience and hopefully other people from here I can learn so much more. One plus point was the collimation. I had been worried it had been off but did it before I left and tried a star test and it was bang on.

Hope I haven't bored you all to tears and hope to meet a few of you soon.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

I got my scope focused on Orion and the nebula. I could see a dust cloud with stars that looked as if they were inside of it but no colour.

Hope I haven't bored you all to tears and hope to meet a few of you soon.

Hi bud,

Nope you ain't bored us - thanks for sharing!

The only way i've seen neb colour is using a filter (neodymium i think)

Kindest,

M

OK, so I'm in Tipton - anyone near? Do you guys have regular meets or just arrange when the weather promises to be good? Need help with a few things so a local genius would be appreciated!

i ain't no genius... but i am local (ish) - what's up?

...M

OK, so I'm in Tipton - anyone near? Do you guys have regular meets or just arrange when the weather promises to be good? Need help with a few things so a local genius would be appreciated!

Hi I'm in Upper Gornal, and havent yet gone to a meet but hoping to do it this year at some time.

Kev

Hi I'm in Upper Gornal, and havent yet gone to a meet but hoping to do it this year at some time.

Kev

I used to live in Upper Gornal, and recently moved down the road to Dudley. Keep trying to make it to one of the meets but something always spoils my plans.

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's a bit early to be banking on the forecast but the Met office app on my phone says clear Saturday night plus the moon will be thin and setting early so I thought I'd put the feelers out now to see if anybody is free and fancies going out?

Hi, Do you guys still meet up for observing? Im new to this and could do with some help and advise. I live in stourbridge, where do you meet?

I have a second hand SW 150p on a skyscan 2001 mount(dont laugh!)

Cheers Geoff

Well there is a rumour circulating. We do try but probably not as hard as we should.

That's a decent scope, no one is going to laugh at it. How do you find the eq3-2 (to give the mount its common title) for vibration with the 6"? I used to have its predecessor (made by Helios) and struggled at high magnification but there are some things you can do to improve it.

Archived