Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Wolves and Black Country observing group...

wulfrunian

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just popping in to invite you to Barr Beacon this evening - Walsall Astrosoc are opening the gates at 5.30pm for mercurial observations, and then the site opens again at 7.30pm for asteroid observations and the ISS flyover.

We've put a couple of events in the diary for this year (flier below) - and please check out the Walsall Looks Up facebook page for local stuff (feel free to post on there too!)

There's no need to book (I know the flier says to but its just so that I get an idea of numbers!)

Hope to see some of you later,

Morgan :-)

8473552084_632ec2778c_o.jpg

Several good locations found, still have half a dozen to look at, if mob handed we could take over a car park for the evening!! . The Ranger Service said if we could drop them a mail when we go up they would like to know.

Nowhere was perfect of course but many sites available.

Well, the weather forecast did lie, it didn't clear up until much later than forecast, by which time I was too tired to setup.

We really do need to get our heads together and sort out a safe, reliable dark site. I can think of plenty of good spots to observe from, unfortunately these are places where I wouldn't feel safe out on my own. Maybe if we organised ourselves to go out as a group things would be better, but getting any diverse group of people together is a bit like herding cats.

My regular spot near Coleshill is no longer available. The owner, who has always been very friendly towards us, did warn me that he would be doing building work on the site. This has now been done and leaves the site difficult to access and exposed to the road.

The farm at Chadwick End (out past Solihull) is useful, if a long journey for those based North and West of Birmingham. Unfortunately the owner wants the site booked and paid for in advance, which means that you can't just look at the weather and make a decision late in the day.

When I win the lottery I will buy a nice piece of land somewhere dark, but until then we will just have to cultivate relationships with friendly farmers or perhaps owners of country pubs with big car parks.

Well, the weather forecast did lie, it didn't clear up until much later than forecast, by which time I was too tired to setup.

We really do need to get our heads together and sort out a safe, reliable dark site. I can think of plenty of good spots to observe from, unfortunately these are places where I wouldn't feel safe out on my own. Maybe if we organised ourselves to go out as a group things would be better, but getting any diverse group of people together is a bit like herding cats.

My regular spot near Coleshill is no longer available. The owner, who has always been very friendly towards us, did warn me that he would be doing building work on the site. This has now been done and leaves the site difficult to access and exposed to the road.

The farm at Chadwick End (out past Solihull) is useful, if a long journey for those based North and West of Birmingham. Unfortunately the owner wants the site booked and paid for in advance, which means that you can't just look at the weather and make a decision late in the day.

When I win the lottery I will buy a nice piece of land somewhere dark, but until then we will just have to cultivate relationships with friendly farmers or perhaps owners of country pubs with big car parks.

I agree will have to start looking at sites. Farms are the best will have to have a brain storming session to find one

I'm not sure of alternative locations. What's the Chadwick end far one?

Steve-Didn't you ask for deatails on the Chadwick End farm site which i sent you??

£5 per night per person.

Andy - you should have asked i could have had one last night out at the farm with the scope,it was clear here by 11ish??

Steve-Didn't you ask for deatails on the Chadwick End farm site which i sent you??

£5 per night per person.

Andy - you should have asked i could have had one last night out at the farm with the scope,it was clear here by 11ish??

Oh yeh! I want to try that place. When is the latest you can reserve?

Oh yeh! I want to try that place. When is the latest you can reserve?

Steve here are the details that i put in the West Mids section of the forum.

Best thing to do is contact the owner and try to sort the payment method out and explain the situation re gazing and forecasts.

It really is a nice site and safe.

Right everyone here are the details for gazing at the farm site i have previously mentioned.

The site is in Chadwick End.

The field is used for camping,caravans and motor homes only,there are no toilet facilities on site.

Star gazing will only be allowed when there are no other campers on site,so you will need to phone beforehand to check the site is avaialable,its usually ok for the winter months.

There are 12 electric hook up points.

Prices are-

For gazing,just a scope and car parked in the field,the cost will be £5.00 per person per night.

Use of the leccy points (there are 12 in total) will be an extra £1.00.PPPN.

Caravans and motor homes are welcome,for longer sessions if needed, but you will need to phone to make arrangements,PM me and i will pass on the contact details.

The owner said he would also like 24 hour notice and payment in advance before any session,so make sure you will be getting a good clear night before you do :wink:

You can also phone first thing on the day if the weathers looking good but again they want as much notice as possible before you turn up.

The site is a working farm so due care must be taken and be respectful of the owners wishes.

He will not tolerate any rowdy behaviour,his words!!! :shocked:

The owner is willing to give this a go and was also talking about another field that could be used,which would be better he reckons,but at this moment there is no access to it.

So folks there you have it.

Anything you need to know just PM me and i will try and answer your questions or i can give you the cotact details of the site :smiley:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived