SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Wolves and Black Country observing group...

wulfrunian

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi To All, just like to thank Steve and Pat for bringing their scopes along last night - amazing - a little cloud to start off with - but then wall to wall cleariness!!!.

Really great night again - the sky is so much better than my garden, my eyesights not the best but think we could make out the double cluster in Perseus and also Andromeda with mark 1 eyeballs certainly "diffuse " around the right area of sky anyway. Oh and Steve REMEMBER YOUR HEATER TAPE NEXT TIME MATE !!! - only kidding - Saw quite a few meteors as well with a couple leaving "streaks" for a fraction of a second - really nice - M1, M82 and 81, the double cluster, M31 and 32, the Eskimo, Orion nebula and Jupiter really high up and through Pats dob - very clear and crisp, banding - a nice disturbance in the NEB - very steady and through the BST Explorers - very nice.

Thanks again guys for bringing the scopes along, Pats set the wixey and RA circle up very well even if he used half a tree to print out - was it 5 or 6 trys mate. Really great night and great company. Thanks Paul.

Had a great night over Cosford on Sat 10th with Steve and Paul.Got there after 10pm straight from Willenhall bonfire, a little cloudy to begin then total clear sky with the Milky Way overhead. A great sight considering we were only a few mile outside Wolverhampton.

Have never seen it from my backyard. This was the first time I tried the setting circle and the wixey and pleased with the result but it still

needs some improvements. Saw a lot of of new objects thanks to Paul first being the Andromeda Galaxy followed by M1 M31 M32 M81 M82, the Eskimo, the Hyades

We had some great views of Jupiter saw the bands clearly, best I've ever seen Tried out two new BST's 8mm & 25mm was well impressed have had them about 9 months first time out of the box. Saw Neptune through Steve's scope

There was also a few meteors some leaving impressive trails in the night sky

The Orion nebula was a great sight also. All in all we had a good 4hrs or so I really enjoyed it; Thanks again for the guided tour Paul

Looking forward to the next night I hope its soon Cheers Pat

Hi Pat, Yeah - great night sorry for hogging your scope mate - but great views of Jupiter - simply amazing and a little tweaking with your setting circles will nail it mate - I think its nice to have a couple of different scopes there to have a look at each object - it just shows that no matter what scope we have - its just great being there with like minded people and just enjoying the night sky - would be nice to get some bino's to the site - the sky is a lot better than what we normally use - I think that if we get a nice weekend (think Fridays out though) it would be nice to meet up again - Oh ,yes forgot about Neptune through Steve's LX90 - just shows what can be achieved from us beginners.

Just a point I was out last night - didn't check what time the Great Red Spot was due to transit, but set up in the garden, aligned and popped over to Jupiter first - there it was the GRS in all its glory - so after faffing about for a while setting up the laptop, leads, webcam, chair and everything which goes with them (can see why I'm a visual astronomer) i managed to get a few images I MUST STRESS I'M NO IMAGER - NOR DO I WANT TO BECOME ONE (can't afford it !!!!!) spent a few minutes putting it through Registax and tittling around a little - the detail is amazing - not quite what you see visually, but the bright ovals near to the GRS were visible, the image was took around 9.00pm with Jupiter quite low down in the glow, the webcam was a Phillips Toucam - about 1500 frames stacked and messed with - as I say not sure how the imagers get to the finished images - but as said a few minutes with Registax. Hope you like anyway. Paul

Capture14_11_201221_09_44.jpg

Thats a very nice Jupiter image Paul. How does your image compare to the view through the hyperion, i think the toucam should approximate to about a 7mm Ep? ish.

Friday does look terrible, Saturday not much better, hope the forecast changes before then or that they are wrong! lol

Hi Paul That is a great image one to be proud off If Sat night is clear I'd like to meet up again and I'll bring the binos and tripod as well.

Will try levelling the base properly to see if that improves it.

I now have been able to start ticking off some of The Moores Winter Marathon Thanks to your guidence on Sat night

So heres to clear skies the weekend

Hi Guys, Thanks,

Barry - forgot to mention I had the Toucam in a Barlow, visually I was using the zoom and was using it around about 12mm (x 200 ish)- even at this mag the image is really bright, the GRS was easily visible - so were the ovals just behind it, remember the image I posted is of around 1500 frames stacked - about 1 minute - ish of video. Visually I just sit at the ep, slightly rotated in the diagonal for height when sitting in the chair and just keep looking, the view was quite steady last night even though Jupiter wasn't really that high in the sky, but the cloud detail sort of drifts in and out of focus due to the atmosphere so you may get a second out of every 10 or so of "steady" seeing, so gradually you build up a picture of where bits of detail are - the contrast is a little strange, because the actual GRS is very pale, but the actual "area" around the spot is where the noticeable contrast is - at the edge of the belt either side of the spot if I've explained it correctly !!!!

The view in the ep is quite large and bright at this mag but the image is constantly shimmering so the odd second or two gives you noticeable detail - there is slight colour (paleish) there but the processing bring out more colour - hope Ive explained it well enough mate, there's nothing more than spending time at the ep to build a "picture" - which you can't really do when your messing with the laptop, re - centreing, re - focusing and altering settings to try and improve things.

Pat - I think the levelling may be giving the slight error in the circles, but with most of the objects, they were very near, yes the bino's are going to be really good from the site, looking forward to the weekend just hope the weather plays ball - the Moore marathon would be great and I think easily doable if we all put our heads together - would be nice to try for M76 - easily visible from my garden - so from site should be nice - Thanks again guys and looking forward to another meet up. Paul

Seriously you gotta get that beast down there! Does the contrast in the GRS and some of the cloud bands improve with the coloured filters? met didnt look promising Saturday but Astropanel says clear night after a day of rain... think it'll be a last minute call Saturday! Like I said I would like to get a bit of an imaging session in without interfering with night vision for the rest of you, I have made a homemade red filter for the laptop which cuts out most of the light but obviously I'll keep a good distance still.

The offer will remain open though for future nights if you want a hand getting the C11 down there :D

Archived