Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

BEST EYE PIECES

lindon uk

What sort of budget are you thinking of ? - eyepieces range from £20 to £600 each !

When you say your current ones are "a little dark", could you explain a bit more ? - what objects have you observed that you feel look too dark ?.

The good news is you have a 'slow' focal length scope, so you don't need to buy super duper, expensive, eyepieces to get good views. Good quality plossl's and orthos, etc, will do the job very well.

I think your scope is limited to 1.25" eyepieces, so a 32mm Plossl will give the lowest power widest field of view. 47x

A good 15mm plossl = 100x. Add a 2x barlow and you get probably the highest power usable in the UK skies of 200x.

A 9 or 10mm eyepiece will give 167x or 150x. Or get a 20mm and use the barlow. Good magnification for planets.

No need to spend the earth on eyepieces for a 1500FL scope.

Andy.

At the lower end consider a TMB planetary 9mm or similar design. It does not cost the earth, and has better eye relief (larger distance between rear lens and ideal position of the eye). I did not like my 10mm Plossl's very short eye relief at all. Alternatively, use a 20 mm and a good barlow (which should retain the higher eye relief of that Plossl).

I used to have a ETX105 which had a 1470mm focal length. My favourite eyepiece was a TV 8-24mm zoom. It covered virtually the full useful magnification range, and was par focal across the complete zoom range. It was ultra convenient.

Baader do a similar zoom that seems to get good comments, and has a wider FoV than the TV model.

my advice,not that i am a expert!would be get a good quality Barlow and every eyepiece you get after that will count as two when you use the Barlow.

the celestron ultima is a bit steep around £80, maybe 2nd hand ? forums like this are brilliant places for picking good quality eyepeices as people upgrade to televue ones

Archived