My Very Excellent Mother Just Served Us Nine Pies?

GordonCopestake

It says "nature decides what are planets" which is fair enough, but then goes on to arbitarily say that anything with an orbit over 200 years is a Pluton??

I've no argument with their definition of a planet but I hope "Pluton" doesn't catch on.

No, because the barycenter of the 2 body system has its center of gravity outside the sphere of the primary member. This makes it a double planet and both members are named as planets. If the COG was within the sphere of the primary member then the secondary member would be defined as a satellite instead. Although by this rule our own moon will be a planet in about 40 million years :laugh:

Men Very Early Made Jars Stand Up Nearly Perfectly. From 'way back in grade school.

I think the Moon should be elevated to the status of planet, making ours a double-planet system. It is large enough that if it were in its own orbit about the Sun, it would be a planet with no question. It is larger than Pluto. It is large enough to significantly move the centre of revolution of the system from the parent body's axis. That should be enough. We could call it Cynthia, the Greek name for it. I like that better than Luna.

WH,

So what about the Jovian moons?

Don't meet the third condition, significant movement of the centre of revolution. I think the 5,000 km or so that the Earth-Cynthian system's COR is moved (1.25% of the distance between bodies) is enough, even if it is still within Earth's volume.

So, how 'bout "Men Very Easily Made Ceramic Jugs, Saucers, Urns, Nectar Pots and Cracked 2?"

Archived