Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ5 mount and variants

jobe

Hi Jobe,

These mounts are available in several different forms each. Obviously the weight capacity is higher the further up the range that you go... EQ6 (or NEQ6 as I believe it is now called being the best)

Here are the meanings of the two drive options, the third and fourth options are fairly self explanatory.

Synscan - full goto, the best option to have.

SynTrek mount has the same pre-installed stepper-motors, motherboard and autoguider port from the PRO SynScan but is supplied with a non-GOTO hand controller that provides slewing controls and automatic tracking of celestial objects. You can upgrade from Syntrek by just purchasing the SynScan handset.

EQ6 - Dual Axis Drives

EQ6 - SynTrek

EQ6 - SynScan

HEQ5 - Dual Axis Drives

HEQ5 - SynTrek

HEQ5 - SynScan

EQ5 - Undriven

EQ5 - RA Axis Drives

EQ5 - Dual Axis Drives

EQ5 - SynScan

EQ3 - Undriven

EQ3 - RA Axis Drives

EQ3 - Dual Axis Drives

EQ3 - SynScan

EQ2 - Undriven

EQ2 - RA Drives

EQ2 - Dual Axis Drives

EQ1 - undriven

EQ1 - RA Drives (Table Top Tripod)

EQ1 - RA Drives (Full tripod)

Hope that this is sort of what your after!?

Ant

THANKS FOR THE REPLY

IT'S SORT OF WHAT I'M AFTER MATE.

SO THE H VERSION AS A MINIMUM WILL TRACK WHERE AS THE BOG STANDARD EQ5 DOESN'T.

THE SCOPE I'M LOOKING TO FIT IT TO IS THE Skywatcher Explorer 250P DS OTA.

DO YOU THINK THE EQ5 WILL HANDLE IT OR WOULD I HAVE TO GO UP TO THE HEQ5.

DO THEY ALL HAVE THE MANUAL 'TWEAKERS' ( RA AND DEC) THAT YOU CAN FINE TUNE THE POSITION. THIS IS QUITE IMPORTANT BECAUSE.....

AT THE MINUTE I WANT TO 'MANUALLY FIND' ALL THE THINGS SO I GET TO KNOW THE SKY BETTER. IN TIME I WILL PROBABLY ADD MOTORS AND WHATEVER TO MAKE LIFE EASIER.

I HOPE THIS MAKES SENSE TO SOMEONE. I THINK I MAY BE CONFUSING MYSELF.

AS SOON AS I GET THE MOUNT AND EP'S SORTED I CAN ORDER ALL MY GEAR AS I'M ON BINOS AT THE MO.

THANKS

JOBE

Hi Jobe,

It sounds like you want a manual mount to begin with..if so, you can't do better than a Celestron CG-5 (similar to EQ5 but with thicker 2" stainless steel legs.

Have you got a scope in mind? Depending on your budget, you can get a great deal from FLO on a Celestron ED100 Apo refractor on a CG-5 mount for £475. I bought one recently and it is superb.

If your budget will stretch to one I'd heartily recommend it and it will be a great all purpose first scope.;)

hope this helps.

Dave

If it is a 250 newt you are going to fit onto it then I think that the CG5 or EQ5 will be a bit hard pushed with that weight on it.

For that size of scope you would be bettr with a HEQ5. If you look at pics of the EQ6 and HEQ5 on the web you will see that they look the same. The HEQ5 is built almost the same way as the EQ6 but is a 'bit' smaller.

The HEQ5 can carry more weight than a EQ5 as it is substantually bigger.

Thats my 2p worth mate, good luck whatever you decide.

Gary

The Syntrek and Synscan versions of the mounts dispense with the manual slow motion manual controls, everything is done by the handcontrol. The dual axis motor driven versions of the HEQ5 and EQ6 also are controlled by their handbox. The dual axis and RA driven versions of the EQ5 have clutches that allow you to disengage the drives to allow manully slewing. With the EQ3-2 the dual axis RA drive is permanently attached so any manual slewing is done by declutching the RA axis and moving the telescope by hand, the DEC axis also has a clutch to disengage the drive motor and allow the telescope to be moved using the slow motion control. As far as I know the EQ2 has only a single axis RA drive, as does the EQ1.

With all the non-goto motorised mounts. but not Syntrek, large angle slews are best performed by disengaging the motors and moving the telescope by hand to the desired position then fine tuning using the motors. This applies also to the non motorised versions of all the mounts.

Reading back through the threads you are considering the 250ds. This is only supplied on HEQ5 or EQ6 mounts for a good reason, the EQ5 would be overloaded with this telescope.

Peter

Another SGL member has just bought the 200P DS and he says that tube already puts the EQ5/CG5 to the limit of what it can sensibly carry. So there's very little chance of the EQ5/CG5 coping with the 250P DS.

So probably best to target the HEQ5.

I have heard of the CG5 carrying a 10" newt for visual use. Indeed FLO sells a 10" Celestron Newt on the CG5 goto version (CG5 is actually Celestron's version of the EQ5). That said it is about the limit of what you would want to put on it and probably would be with the HEQ5. The reason the CG5 manages to carry more than an EQ5 is by using the 2" steel tripod already mentioned (heavier duty tripod than the HEQ5 and longer too at full stretch making it good for refractors) and proper bearings in the RA axis of the later versions.

I'm not saying it's as good or accurate tracking as the HEQ5 but I reckon it'll give it a good run for it's money for visual use.

Another SGL member has just bought the 200P DS and he says that tube already puts the EQ5/CG5 to the limit of what it can sensibly carry. So there's very little chance of the EQ5/CG5 coping with the 250P DS.

So probably best to target the HEQ5.

Russ, was it an EQ5 or a CG5? Did they say what the tripod was?

I'm a bit late but I;d not put a 250 on anything less than an EQ6.

I have a 200 on an HEQ5 and its stable but its right at the limit in my opinion of what the mount can handle - manufacturers always big up the capacities but in truth you dont want to be too close to the mounts limits or wlese you will end up with a wobbly mount that makes viewing hopeless.

Also bear in mind what the scope weighs is only part of the equation. You have to factor in the fact that the scope will be carrying potentially heavy eyepieces in the future plus any other accessories.

The weight of my 200 tube on its own as delivered from the factory si quite different to the weight of my 'loaded' tube carrying a 2lb finder, a fan, flocking, a moonlite focuser and something lile a 2lb eyepiece.

• 8 months later...

Hello folks.

Just wondering ... over the past few months I've been planning and plotting to upgrade my EQ5, firstly, a pier mount and then the SynScan PRO GOTO version 3 Upgrade kit from FLO. £285

Thing is, I've been doing a bit of digging around and now I'm not sure if the mount will handle what I want to stick on it.

I eventually want to load the following onto this mount for a go at astrophotography, xmas coming up = buying goodies time :)

I can't weigh my OTA as I'm offshore at present

And now I'm not sure if the mount is up to it weightwise, has anyone been down this route already?

Explorer 200P OTA

Piggy backed guidescope (the one that came with it)

Piggy backed Skywatcher Startravel 80 guidescope £85

Skywatcher Synguider Autoguider £229

Associated bracketry / guidescope rings for mounting

Extended counterweight bar and weights

I plan to use the modded Lifecam so negligable weight there, but, I often like to use the 38mm Panaview which is quite heavy.

Now, extending the counterweight bar would help me keep the absolute weight down and that by correctly balancing the system this would prevent excess strain on the motors.

Am I right in saying that the maximum stated capacity of the mount is the maximum weight of all the components hanging off of it and not what the mount motors are pushing (when balanced properly the motors should be seeing negligable weight).

Personally, I have a horrible feeling that I'm being over ambitious, that's why I thought I'd ask around before parting with my hard earned £££'s to FLO.

So, what's the verdict, do-able or non-starter, I'd love to hear from anyone who has done similar.

Thanks in advance.

IMO, and I am no expert :-), all that on a eq5 is asking too much. A HEQ5 would probablt be able to handle it if it were well balanced and used in a sheltered spot. I have a F4 8" newt and zs66 on my HEQ5 and it works well, but that is quite a bit shrter than the 200P.

Gary

IMO, and I am no expert :-), all that on a eq5 is asking too much. A HEQ5 would probablt be able to handle it if it were well balanced and used in a sheltered spot. I have a F4 8" newt and zs66 on my HEQ5 and it works well, but that is quite a bit shrter than the 200P.

Gary

Yeah, thanks Gary.

I just had another drag around the net and I think / know you're correct - just wanted a second opinion - I'm being too ambitious (again).

Back to plan A, SynScan PRO GOTO version 3 Upgrade kit from FLO.

To be honest, I should be happy with that, the lifecam weight is negligable and this setup should be more than adequate for learning to image. (People on this forum have done amazing things with a lot less).

Thanks again.

• 1 year later...
Hi Jobe,

These mounts are available in several different forms each. Obviously the weight capacity is higher the further up the range that you go... EQ6 (or NEQ6 as I believe it is now called being the best)

Here are the meanings of the two drive options, the third and fourth options are fairly self explanatory.

Synscan - full goto, the best option to have.

SynTrek mount has the same pre-installed stepper-motors, motherboard and autoguider port from the PRO SynScan but is supplied with a non-GOTO hand controller that provides slewing controls and automatic tracking of celestial objects. You can upgrade from Syntrek by just purchasing the SynScan handset.

EQ6 - Dual Axis Drives

EQ6 - SynTrek

EQ6 - SynScan

HEQ5 - Dual Axis Drives

HEQ5 - SynTrek

HEQ5 - SynScan

EQ5 - Undriven

EQ5 - RA Axis Drives

EQ5 - Dual Axis Drives

EQ5 - SynScan

EQ3 - Undriven

EQ3 - RA Axis Drives

EQ3 - Dual Axis Drives

EQ3 - SynScan

EQ2 - Undriven

EQ2 - RA Drives

EQ2 - Dual Axis Drives

EQ1 - undriven

EQ1 - RA Drives (Table Top Tripod)

EQ1 - RA Drives (Full tripod)

Hope that this is sort of what your after!?

Ant

Brilliant, and thank you so very much. I too was another newbie totally confused by the mumbo jumbo!

Couldn't fathom out all the different prices. It's as clear as mud now! (Joke!)

Ant, many thanks for your excellent list detailing all the variants. As a beginner I am better informed now.

Is it possible for you to compile another list which shows for each mount :

a) What its stated carrying capacity is.

:) How much does the mount with its tripod weigh ie can I pick it up !

I hope this is possible. many thanks.

The carrying capacity of a mount is only a rough guideline. It depends on the shape of your scope as well as weight. Also you should know, some manufacturer rates their mount for visual use while other rate them for imaging.

Carrying capacity

EQ1 - 3kg

EQ2 - 4kg

EQ3-2 - 5.5kg

EQ5 - 9kg

HEQ5 - 13.5kg

EQ6 - 18kg

Mount weight

EQ1 - 5.5kg

EQ2 - 8kg

EQ3-2 - 12.5kg

EQ5 - 16kg

HEQ5 - 19.5kg

EQ6 - 34.5kg

Numbers from Orion USA, converted to metric and rounded to nearest 0.5kg

Thank you E621Keith. Great info. I assume similar mounts from Skywatcher and Celestron are about the same.

How does any one pick up an EQ6 ? A 25kg sack of bird seed arrived yesterday at home and I could only stagger a few yards with it.

I think the Celestron can CG5 can carry more than the EQ5 because it has a thicker 2" tripod. However the original Vixen GP is only rated for 7kg.

The weights quoted are total weights including counter weights and tripod. The mounts can be broken down into smaller pieces. However, I have seen a few warning for people with bad back.

Archived