SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First ever meteor on camera

Hi

As you all know I have recently been getting into astrophotography and one thing I have wanted to do is to capture meteor trails, primarily when a good shower such as the perseid, leonids or geminids are on.

Last night I was attempting some star trail shots. Because of light pollution I tend to leave the shutter open for 30 seconds on continous shooting and then stack them all together....that was the plan!

Set the camera up...went in for a cuppa and came out to cloud :-(

There was one good shot....well reasonable shot....managed to catch a meteor going through UMi

davidscanlan-albums-general-astrophotos-picture4178-meteor-ursa-minor-9th-february-2010.jpg

Dave, what time was that ? it looks like a satellite flaring. What orientation is the frame... if the line is North-South, then it's probably an Iridium. I've found, that meteors are so short lived, compared to a 30 second exposure, that most of them can barely be seen in the frame at full size... I need to work on that one myself, I'm thinking 10 seconds for meteors.

I hope you don't mine, but it also looks like it's a little shy of the focus point too..

Nope, nothing wrong with that - great capture. Just change the caption on the picture and show your mates. Bet most of them will look blankly when you tell them it's an Iridium flare - but wait until you tell them you can see man made satellites from Earth!

Archived