Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I had a horrible thought tonight...

Takahashi

It's funny how this thread hasn't touched particularly on the Cassegrain scopes. I've got a Mak 127 and it's great as a grab-and-go. Attached to a lightweight (bad for vibration, good for portability) mount with GOTO I can get the whole thing set up in around 10 minutes. A lazy-align process done in five and then the observing can start ;)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you, on the Cassegrain-based scope as a G&G option, hence my (fairly) recent purchase of a MakCass 127, which can easily be accommodated by my Giottos/Manfrotto photo tripod combo. Problem is, I have to drive a minimum of 7 - 10 miles to get to skies that can be described as "barely usable", so the whole "AAAAAARGH!!!" factor still stands. ;)

However, I've come to realise that no matter how much I complain, I'm in the British Isles, where the weather systems are as unique as they are frustrating, and like it or not, short of "doing an Olly" and moving to another country, I'll just have to make do, wallowing in the fact that, should the opportunity arise, I can pick and choose from a disgustingly, embarrassingly wealthy pile of technology with which to appreciate the scant clear skies we get. Any shortcoming after that, is my own doing. :mad:

Disclaimer : Any positivity in the above text is subject to change, dependent entirely on the volume of quality vintage consumed by the writer, and the percentage of clear skies within any given period of time.

:mad:

I'm glad my first scope purchase was a NexStar 4SE. I long for a larger 8" dob, but I know I will always have a role for this little telescope which I can carry outside in one piece.

Archived