Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Getting to grips with Globulars

Thanks for the replies and I will certainly be following AM's advice when I'm out next (mind, it's been very cloudy here for a while, but clear skies today :lol: ). I too am blown away by the idea of so many stars and what it must be like to be up there in the middle of it all. Good to hear that there might be at least one class of DSO's that may be better viewed than imaged. Thanks for the link as well CC.

Cheers, Martin

• 4 years later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Globs are a favourite target of mine.

They are the one target which are quite easy to observe in a small refractor and tend to spend quite a large proportion of my time observing them.

With relative High light pollution (NELM 3.5-4) at home they are fairy easy to find.

Looking at them through a big scope is where they really come to life.

Looking at the likes of m13 and M93 through a 12 inch or bigger scope is an amass of thousands of stars resolved right down to the core.

With a 3 inch scope only the outermost stars are resolved.

Nexus6

Thanks for the article BUT from the last few years and spending time on that supernova web site that lists all SN over mag 20 I have NEVER heard of one in a globular say M15..

Perhaps its because it would not show up very well visually. Maybe we should start looking! Perhaps those with a spectrascope shold be searching for the tell tale spectrum?????

Mark

Not all globulars are old objects. Some are among the youngest objects in the sky. The massive star R136a is located in a 'blue globular' in the LMC's Tarantula Nebula. The cluster is being formed by the ram pressure of the LMC ploughing through the Milky Way's outer regions. I imagine that is how most globs formed, huge clouds og gas ramming through each other when galaxies first coalesced.

No, the whole glob in the Tarantula Nebula is only a few million years old compared to the ten billion year-plus age of most globs. There was a great APOD a few months ago showing the cluster.

M13 was one of the 1st deep sky object I ever saw through a scope, many, many years ago.

Probably because of this, it's very special to me.

Cracking objects that seem to take high power very well and as mentioned before, are a joy through a simple ortho eyepiece.

Andy.

M13 was one of the 1st deep sky object I ever saw through a scope, many, many years ago.

Probably because of this, it's very special to me.

Andy.

My first sighting of any DSO, M13 at about 11pm last night through my 76mm reflector. :)

Very fuzzy and I couldn't resolve any individual details, but I was hugely impressed that I could see something like this through such a small scope.

I then moved on to Albireo which I thought would be simpler to see and completely failed! My telescope seems to prefer showing me objects which I can't see with a naked eye.

I find I can resolve the outer stars of M13 with my 4" refractor, deeper towards the core with my 6" scope and the cluster (and a number of other globulars) appear to show stars resolved to the core with my 10" newtonian - globulars look good in small scopes and binoculars but really (like most deep sky objects) show themselves off with aperture. Dark skies also enhance the view, again in common with other DSO's. M13 and the nearby M92 really look like their photographs with my 10" under good seeing conditions :)

Some of the most fascinating objects though, whatever you are observing with, as has been mentioned above. I could just see M13 with my naked eyes on one of the nights at this years SGL star party.

Re: "blown out" cores of Globs and Galaxies. A lot of astro photos do not take into account the high contrast between the core of a DSO and the outer fringes. Most people are very surprised at how dim the arms of M31 appear to be, as compared to the core, especially if they are familiar with the many photos that were taken using film cameras some time ago.

The same applies to globular clusters. I have seen many that show a bright cluster with lots of stars extending out a long ways from the center, but then the center is just a white blaze of light!

I believe that our eyes are less apt to suffer from this effect simply because they tend to adjust to the varying light levels as the focus is drawn from the edges to the center of the cluster.

One way to eliminate the problem photographically is to take a set of short exposures which will reveal the core stars, and stack them with a set of longer exposures which will reveal the stars on the outside fringes of the cluster.

Some work in PhotoShop or another good processor, will allow you to combine the images so the stars will be shown all the way from the furthest extent of what you were able to capture, right down to the core.

Some of the most outstanding photos of the globs show exactly that !

Jim S.

I have been told all the stars that would blow up because they are big will already have blown up in Globulars as they are old objects..

But what about class 1a SN. Are they all short term as well.

Someone suggested I check out the globulars from the Andromeda galaxy like G1 as maybe they are younger?

Its all very interesting...

Mark

OK had a look at G1 with my 10 inch dob. I can make out a pair of stars nearby mag 12 I think. Then where G1 is I can see what appears to be a fuzzy star. Looking at your picture I think I am seeing the mag 13.6 star and the G1 and the mag 14 star are too close to see clearly.

So 6mm is not good enough. I have a 4mm TMB on the way and I will try that.

FUN..

Mark

OK had a look at G1 with my 10 inch dob. I can make out a pair of stars nearby mag 12 I think. Then where G1 is I can see what appears to be a fuzzy star. Looking at your picture I think I am seeing the mag 13.6 star and the G1 and the mag 14 star are too close to see clearly.

So 6mm is not good enough. I have a 4mm TMB on the way and I will try that.

FUN..

Mark

Glad someone had some clear skies :)

Good to read you managed to get out and have a look for it, if only it were present around the Milky Way being the brightest Globular in the Local Group. :(

Archived