Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A clear night is promised for tonight.

Dave

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Me and my BIG mouth...

Skies really clear to start.

ASCOM driver to EQMOD froze and wouldn't work.

Just spent almost an hour getting that working again.

Got back in Obs. and connected lappie to scope.

All connected OK and talking.

A few scattered clouds, but nothing too bad, so pressed on.

Opened roof up properly. Still a few scattered clouds.

Started to align scope and rain started coming down, so shutters back over the scope once again.

Looks like it's gonna be one of THOSE nights...

The words "clear" and "night" dont seem to be included in the Irish weather forcast. I'm sitting here scratching my head trying to think of the last real clear night. I'm sure it was back in Dec 2009 or maybe early Jan 2010.

Absolutely BO DIDDLY...............since then.

oh dear maybe I wont try and persuade the other half in moving to Kerry then. I might just stick to Oxfordshire skies in that case.... Not tonight though, REALLY washed out after work tonight, will hopefully be out tomorrow.

oh dear maybe I wont try and persuade the other half in moving to Kerry then. I might just stick to Oxfordshire skies in that case.... Not tonight though, REALLY washed out after work tonight, will hopefully be out tomorrow.

Move to Kerry?

Do you really like rain THAT much?

As much rain as we get here on the east coast....its 10 times worse on the west/south west coast because that area is the 1st land mass the rain encounters as it comes in off the Atlantic ocean and most of the rain gets dumped there.

Clouds are clouds though no matter where you live. I'd give ANYTHING for a single clear night under dark skies in Kerry then 300 semi LP nights up here on the outskirts of Dublin.

Move to Kerry?

Do you really like rain THAT much?

As much rain as we get here on the east coast....its 10 times worse on the west/south west coast because that area is the 1st land mass the rain encounters as it comes in off the Atlantic ocean and most of the rain gets dumped there.

Clouds are clouds though no matter where you live. I'd give ANYTHING for a single clear night under dark skies in Kerry then 300 semi LP nights up here on the outskirts of Dublin.

The best ever starry night was out at the Spa, between Fenit and Tralee, sitting on the grass verge by the road outside the house, and the Milky Way was so prominent, the sky looked like a digitally enhanced photo, it was THAT amazingly clear. It was getting on into August, not a single cloud, not even a wisp. Beautiful.

I've just managed on okay couple of hours. The clouds rolled across now and again, but not too bad, and at times, as I viewed through gaps in the clouds, they did a really good job of soaking up the light pollution, dramatically darkening the background sky.

So tonight I was able to use my two new eyepieces for the first time: a Baader 5mm genuine ortho and a Skywatcher 38mm Panaview. I got some nice views of Mars, the double cluster, M42 (managed the E star easily with the Baader, but seeing not quite up to the F star) and the Pleiades. I also some saw some sights for the first time tonight: the Eskimo nebula (faint, but definitely saw the 'face' with averted vision), M35 and M101. A good night, I think.

Yep... got about 3/4 hour in before clouds rolled over the I.O.W. Detail on Mars and awesome view of M42. Not been doing this long and Orion always takes my breath away. Wanted to wait for Saturn but doesn't look likely.

Clear enough to the east right now. Had a quick glance while letting the dog out to do her thing. Mars is there. The "seeing" is pretty good.........not much naked eye "twinkling" of stars.

I might put the scope out in a while to let it cool and take a look at Saturn later on.

Two 5 minute subs in the last 45 minutes...

One half of the sky is clear, the other is covered and it doesn't look like it's going to shift ;) Guess which half I want to image in...

Too much cloud rolling over so I'm probably going to call it a night - sitting outside in the cold answering emails doesn't make sense!

James

Had a few hours of clear sky here (north of Wolverhampton), must be a lot of moisture in the air, scope fogged up quite bad even after being out there all evening. Dew shield got ice on it and the grass went crunchy, going to have an icy windscreen in the morning, I'm back in the house with a warm cup of tea now. Had a look at Mars but could not see much with the foggy scope grrrrrr. Oh well there is always next time.

It was constant banks of cloud nr Southampton. Grabbed some nice views of Mars in the breaks and had a peak at M81/M82. Not anywhere near as good as forecast.

Forecast for tonight now looks the same as last night. Cloud upto 6pm, then patchy and then full cover back by midnight.

Archived