Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

See if I can spot the Sun!

Hi all,

I am eagerly awaiting a sun filter recently purchased! Really looking forward to using but, never done so before!

Any advice would be just fine please!

I am already understanding that looking at 'that big hunk of burning love' without a filter could win me a white stick quite quick! So will not attempt that me thinks!

Cheers.

Hi

If its the type of filter that screws into the front of the ETX60's lens cell then thats the biggest worry (that the filter could fall off whilst observing) taken care of. Just remember to check the filter for any holes before you start using it and you will be fine.

Not sure if you will be using GOTO or not to locate the sun. If not, then the simplest way to find the sun is to use the shadow your telecope's tube makes on the ground - when it is perfectly round you will be pointing at the sun.

Depending on the filter you are using, the sun will appear as a white or coloured disk against a black background. Remember that there often aren't any sunspots to see, but that can change daily. Check

SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids to see what spots are there.

Finally you may find it helps if there is something to block the sun from your peripheral vision whilst you observe. I put a teatowel over my head!

Regards

Richard

Hi

Not sure if you will be using GOTO or not to locate the sun. If not, then the simplest way to find the sun is to use the shadow your telecope's tube makes on the ground - when it is perfectly round you will be pointing at the sun.

Richard

if that doesn't work, look up, it's that big bright orange thing. :)

Forget to mention that the filter will have a felt liner! Not sure if that is for secure holding or to block the contact point from light!? I also assume that the dew shield would be redundant in usage?

I would assume both. You do not want ANY light that isnt filtered.

Archived