SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ASA direct drive mount - rumours.

ollypenrice

It is an interesting topic. I would love to know details of how the motors aré connected mechanically.

Anyone have any good links to specs or reviews? Independent sites that is as i don't like reading sales Rubbish.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Following this up..

this link for the original work on direct drive motors made by amateurs, complete with powerpoint slides. Direct Drive Motors - AltAzScopes

For harmonic drives, look up Harmonic Drive AG for an animated demo.

The encoder name I got wrong - its renishaw at Optical angle encoders. They're still about £1500 a pop though.

I really fancy making a small direct drive motor on a lazy susan bearing. I can turn the coils from stock wire and buy 10-off ultra strong small magnets from chronos and other places.

My question on this is: which is best - gluing the magnets to a soft iron armature (to do what precisely ?) or mounting the coils on soft iron formers to concentrate their field strength ?

The idea of Sidereal turning out these motors at $450 a set seems intriguing and almost worthwhile retrofitting to a standard mount. the issue being that the bearing alsmost has to be large to gernerate sufficient torque and motor precision.

Anyone got an idea of how much to purchase a harmonic drive ?

regs

Mike

Glass Ball Bearings? Not too convinced about those. I know glass is hard, but it is brittle too. Apart from that, it is one damned fine conception. I wish I had gone further into electronics.

That radial flux motor, looks like the lighting coils that used to be employed in M/cycles. More of em is all. Acting as a motor, rather than a generator

45Deg. per second slew rate. :eek:

Anyone fancy a DIY version.

Ron.

Thanks for the links, exactly the kind of information I was after with some technical details. I have my old power electronics book somewhere with all the motor theory in it...must dig it out one day.

Looks very interesting

'Interesting thread'!

But...

Still don't like the tone 'Marmite' is taking...

Don't believe that he's not linked to the project in some way....

Still no apology for the way you replied to Olly who is a decent SGL member....

Know you've got a 'chip on the shoulder' - or two though...

I've not a nice 'arcane' Tak EM400 that I got second hand - so I'll await the snide remarks from you to now as well... but you know what - god the Tak fires up and just works....

Take your best shot 'Marmite'

Damian

Still don't like the tone 'Marmite' is taking...

If it's any consolation, I don't actually care. :o

Don't believe that he's not linked to the project in some way....

If I was to drill down below where I'm sitting right now and through the core of the Earth, the hole would eventually open somewhere in Spain. That's in Europe, yes, but still quite a long way from Austria.

Astelco also benefit from my direct drive cheerleading. A few months ago I got to watch an NTM-500 in action firsthand. It was riveting. I'm not usually a hardware junkie, but the NTM-500 is an awesome bit of gear.

Oh and now I'm actively promoting the fact that PlaneWave are in on the direct drive act, along with Sidereal Technologies. Both are USA-based.

So you see, I'm not cheerleading for ASA, but all direct drive mount manufacturers, because I know the future when I see it.

Still no apology for the way you replied to Olly who is a decent SGL member....

Don't wait up. :D

Know you've got a 'chip on the shoulder' - or two though...

No, that would be you. :evil6:

I've not a nice 'arcane' Tak EM400 that I got second hand - so I'll await the snide remarks from you to now as well... but you know what - god the Tak fires up and just works....

See this recent post of mine: http://stargazerslounge.com/sponsor-announcements-offers/68722-skywatcher-190mm-maksutov-newtonian-astrograph-5.html#post1370063

I love all-things Tak. But their current line up of mounts are all based upon old-fashioned geared technology, with its inherent periodic error. The good news is that Tak are rumoured to be working on a direct drive mount!

Take your best shot 'Marmite'

Thanks 'Damian', I'm hoping I did so last night. Conditions were perfect and I was imaging for hours. :eek:

While this thread has been discussing in an adult manner direct drive technology, it has been really interesting.

Unfortunately, it seems to be on the verge of degenerating into childish tit for tat, and there is no room for that sort of behaviour on this forum.

I think that it has run its course and nothing further will be gained.

If anyone wants to discuss DD technology in an adult manner, then I'm sure another thread can easily be started.

I am therefore locking this thread.

Rob

Archived