Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telescope for beginner

Chris G

I have seen this advertised on e-bay........

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Telescope-Newtonian-76-700-XXL-1-25-Focuser_W0QQitemZ250015175351QQihZ015QQcategoryZ3636QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I was wondering if this is a good beginners telescope, i want something half decent but i dont want to spend over £100 especially with Christmas closing fast. The seller seems to know what he is on about, but i thought i'd ask the experts.

Thanks for the replies chaps. I probably could go to £150 (its just convincing the other half :D :D) whats available at that price and also while i'm thinking about it what about camera mounts ie how much and can these smaller scopes take them.

These telescopes and mounts won't take the equipment for imaging except for afocal (Camera held against the eyepiece) Which can give very good results.

You could always put one of your kidneys on e-bay to raise funds :shock:

I'm thinking possibly about a small Maksutov....Or even binoculars.

For £50 will get you some nice 10x50's and mount them on one of your camera tripods.

I still use my binoculars...Ultra portable....lovery widfield views, your ultimate grab n go scope or scopes

Greg

Hi There,

If you could stretch your budget just a Little further. I would recommend this is a first scope:

http://www.acecameras.co.uk/asp/web/recorprod//product/11318/cat//ph//keywords//recor//SearchFor//PT_ID//product.asp

at £115 with free del its a bargin - I know this as it was my first scope when they were call Helios not skywatcher (same company though). Plus its a new scope so you have warranty.

Rob

:D

Not sure of the quality but Warehouse Express still have their 6" Dobsonian for £99 delivered. Maybe worth a thought. Although Rob's suggestion will get you under way with some basic astrophotography as well.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/

You also find under Bushnell a 4.5" reflector like the one Rob recommended with the EQ1 mount. But it's fitted with an RA drive and is only £99 delivered. This should get you going on the imaging straight out of the box.

Russ

I can't recommend an EQ1 with a 4.5" reflector. I had one and it was about as shakey as they come. The dob is a good deal though.

To be honest for £100 you might be better off looking at a good pair of binoculars as you wont get a quality telescope for that price and it might put you off astronomy

The age old question:

I have tight budget what should I get....binoculars or cheap telescope?

Chris, I've seen your amazing pics of the countryside in the photography section, so it obvious you are approaching this with imaging in mind from the outset. An EQ1 with RA is surprisingly capable as a camera platform for widefield long exposures of the night sky. I've had some great success from mine.

As a platform for a telescope, as Gordon says, they are not great. And god alone knows what the optical quality will be like.

It could put you off for life but then so could the binoculars.

Russ

A 6" reflector is a wonderful beginner's instrument, although I think the EQ1 mount is a little too light for it. Skywatcher markets it on a EQ3-2 mount, which is what I have my 6" reflector on. A 6" Dob is a great beginner's instrument. In fact, one advanced observer I know uses a Skywatcher 6" Dob, and nothing else. He's never even talked about getting a new scope, and I've had wonderful views of Jupiter through his. He is using Pentax eyepieces, though.

Something you may have overlooked: my local astronomical society lets its members borrow from a small selection of scopes free of charge. Maybe your local AS does the same. Membership fees are less than £20. pa. Just a thought.

Archived