SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Guide scope or Off-axis guider?

We need more information please - what telescope and mount will you be using?

Just general comments to get started:-

1. A guide 'scope is generally easier to set up and get working but can introduce differential flexure

2. An OAG reduces the choice of available stars and makes getting focus right for both cameras more difficult but removes any chance of flexure.

Yeh, sorry about the extremely short introduction I was in a bit of a rush but was hoping id get a few quick opinions. Anyways, I have a SCT 8" at the moment, and have been doing some imaging, however good ol' tracking is not the best, so I'm looking to buy either a guide scope to help with it or an OAG. I posted another thread a couple of days ago regarding guide scopes, and am pretty set that if i choose to get a guide scope i'll go for the ST80, however im not sure whether I'd benefit more from an OAG or not??? I know the benefits and downfalls of both but was wondering...from anyones experiences, which actually produces the better results? Thx

• 3 months later...

Archived