SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M45 The Pliades

Uranium235

I had a short 3 hour window in which to set up and get a few subs of this tonight. For a while I was clueless as to why PHD wasnt making enough corrections in DEC (it would lose traking after about 30 seconds), at first i thought it was my polar alignment, but after 3 re-alignments - i figured that wasnt it. So I poked about in the advanced tab and bing! No probs after that.

Wish I had taken more (and longer) subs as I was starting to get a hint of nebulosity when I put it through DSS. But given the probs experienced earlier, I didnt want to push my luck. Also found the need for a coma corrector now as it shows towards the edges.

Worth keeping (until I manage something better...lol) :)

5x2min, 3x3min, 3x5min 10 dark 10 bias

post-18171-133877424853_thumb.jpg

unfortunately, I didnt have time for flats last night. If you were to see the RAW images, they are well washed out because of LP (I wasnt using any filter). But I know where I went wrong now. So next time I will be able to pass the 5min barrier.

The things was, I couldnt find a way to use the 2" LPF without the barlow as I needed a 2" filter thread. Ive got lots of 1.25", but only one 2" - which was part of the 2" barlow. Imaging M45 with a barlow is a no-go, so while in bed last night I unscrewed the filter, then the black lens part - leaving just the barrel. To my surprise the filter screwed straight into the barrel - problem solved. So next time I should get better results. Wish id have thought of it earlier though... but time was of the essence. Setting up & dodging clouds didnt leave much time for taking pics! ;)

This is the raw image of a 290s sub, with no filter... its a bit of a shocker. :) Seeing conditions were not exactly great too, as there was a bit of high cloud drifting through the shot - which probably accounts for the large white patch in the final image.

post-18171-133877424868_thumb.jpg

I have had that problem too, but like you was happy to find that the filters fits the barlow thread :)

i can't stress enough the need for a flat honestly if done right it makes processing something like that a walk in the park

Archived