Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telescopes / Astronomy in films.

gaelicstorm7

Hi Guys, might be kinda off topic this one, if so admins please feel free to move.

Here goes

My beloved was watching a film the other day (Heartbreakers) and there was a guy in it who was an astrophotographer !, showed him using his scope and some views through it (HAH as if, but good for a laugh :D), but got me thinking as to if what other films out there feature telescopes or astronomy/astronomers in them.

Armageddon - Guy who spots the asteroid heading towards Earth (don't know what scope he's using).

The Dish - Think if I remember right a couple of guys are watching an Apollo rocket heading towards the moon with a big SCT.

over to you lot, have fun !

Alan

There's a couple to get us going.

Not a film but still... on West Wing, a very pretty lady who works for NASA takes Josh out one night to look through a telescope, I'm pretty sure it was a computerised Meade type dealy, I think they even showed you some views of Mars....

Twas pretty cool

I saw an afternoon TV movie about meteors about to hit the Earth where a professional astronomer was using his scope in a conservatory through a closed window. :D

Maybe the conservatory had ED or fpl53 glass......... :D

• Like 1

Not a film but still... on West Wing, a very pretty lady who works for NASA takes Josh out one night to look through a telescope, I'm pretty sure it was a computerised Meade type dealy, I think they even showed you some views of Mars....

Twas pretty cool

I saw that one. I was about an 11" SCT with goto. I want one of those - it can show you stuff that hasn't risen above the horizon yet!

On the Canadian comedy "Corner Gas" Wanda gets herself a telescope to look for a comet, I believe. It looks like a nice SN8. She puts a diagonal into it, and looks along the tube, instead of into the tube, like everyone else does. Not impossilbe, I suppose, but I've never seen anyone do it.

A lot of yuppies have telescopes in their living rooms, as decoration.

Doctor Who. Last first series, big refractor... *wicked* brass gears and knobs :D

Arthur

But it wasn't a telescope, it was a doodah to mess up the werevampirie things. I had thought that it wouldn't count bcause of that.

My kids stood back when the castle was revealed and their dad went "kennel, look at that fracking thing" all out of nowhere. He was gagging to fix it up and make it work, I could tell just by watching him.

But really, us adults don't watch these childish things do we.

Captain Chaos

• 15 years later...

Time to revive a very old thread.
We've just watched the 2018 film, Harmony. It turned out to be oddball, feelgood, supernatural hokum, but one scene featured a rather tasty long refractor in a dome observatory.
Google has failed to provide the identity of said scope, though apparently everything was filmed in Australia.
Does anyone know what it was?

Also not a film, but I'm in the middle of an old "Midsomer Murders" episode with professional and amateur astronomers in it.  They filmed some on location at a professional and also an amateur obsy .  There are a few blatant errors, but it's surprisingly good.  I only laughed out loud once.  😁

"Big Bang Theory" frequently has a small scope in the background - either a refractor or a Celestron go-to.

• Like 1

"INVADERS FROM MARS", 1950'S B-movie (probably the very first film I ever saw). The kid had a small scope with which he saw the spaceship land and his dad was an astronomer with a proper telescope in his observatory. Seen it a few more times since.

In Contact, a young Ellie and her dad are about to watch a meteor shower through a pair of refractors when he dies suddenly. 

and Tony Stark has a big celestron Reflector in his house (which unfortunately looks out towards Los Angeles - Bortle 20 maybe)

Graeme