Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Bathgate

Kerrp30

Hi,

I have just recently bought a CPC800 and have started gazing at the moon. I only have stock items so I am trying to get a Hyperion Zoom EP but no one has any.

Got a 17Ah power supply from maplin £23 quid much better than the celestron one at >£100

Paul

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Paul

A warm welcome to SGL.

Why are you wanting a zoom eyepiece? They're not particularly well suited for astronomy. Their ability to zoom in results in there being extra glass in the optical train which is generally not ideal. You'd be better off with 3 or maybe 4 fixed focal length eyepieces to cover the range of your viewing needs.

Steve

Hello and welcome.

I've got the same power tank from Maplins and it works perfectly running the mount and camera. Would definately recommend. No red light with it though!!

I think the Hyperion zoom is a reasonable one - it was reviewed recently in Sky@Night mag. I've never owned one but I'd see what a few experienced observers think or better still try one out! I'm pretty sure FLO sell them.

Hello and welcome. Nice choice of scope I seriously considered getting a cpc scope but in the end went for a dob. The Baader Hyperion zoom eyepiece is not one I've looked through personally but it gets some rave reviews over on Cloudy Nights.

It's a massive thread but have a look here's the link.

Telescope Reviews: Til I Saw Her Face, Now I'm a Believer!

Hello Paul, Bathgate here too - welcome to SGL. Recently got a C8 myself - though still to get it out to a dark site for a proper run.

Helpful friendly bunch here , mostly :)

Hello managed two nights last weekend got Mars no problem, was pretty cold all the same. Need to get on the Hunt for a decent dark patch as I did it at wester inch in the wast ground bloomin street light was right in the way:);)

Hello managed two nights last weekend got Mars no problem, was pretty cold all the same. Need to get on the Hunt for a decent dark patch as I did it at wester inch in the wast ground bloomin street light was right in the way:);)

Yeah got a few hours in each on last Sat/Sun and a follow up on Tuesday after abandoning plans to head out to a CSOG dark site as the clouds rolled in but cold - yeah -9 again on Tuesday brrr.

Plagued by streetlights here (Windyknowe) bit OK for planets/moon/bright things.

I hooked up with Scottish Astronomers they have scouted out a bunch of dark sites to visit and are a nice bunch - informal - there are a few of us who haunt here :)

Just over the Hills!! Wonder if Cairn Papple would make a good dark patch for observing??

Heh be blinded by all the lights down off the hill... but the middle of beecraigs might be another matter big field SW of picknick site at balvormie lol - high horizon though with the trees

[

I hooked up with Scottish Astronomers they have scouted out a bunch of dark sites to visit and are a nice bunch - informal - there are a few of us who haunt here :)

Where are these dark skies you talk off? I was thinking, West Calder has a model flying Club and they have a good remote site. Might be worth a try.

Blackridge Model flying Club also have a patch and it is high up best for Northward viewing. Nice and flat as well.

Two links

West Calder - The West Calder Radio Control Model Flying Club near Livingston central scotland

Blackridge - Blackridge & District Model Flying Club

Check out the pictures to see unrestricted views.

Paul

[

Where are these dark skies you talk off? I was thinking, West Calder has a model flying Club and they have a good remote site. Might be worth a try.

Blackridge Model flying Club also have a patch and it is high up best for Northward viewing. Nice and flat as well.

Two links

West Calder - The West Calder Radio Control Model Flying Club near Livingston central scotland

Blackridge - Blackridge & District Model Flying Club

Check out the pictures to see unrestricted views.

Paul

Interesting places - I noticed a bunc of model plane flyers using a site E of Bathgate up behind bangour when I was out there on my bike - I didn't know of Blackridge or W Calder flyers.

Oddly enough I wondered if there might have been potential locations near Woodfords - CSOG use a site near there along the A70 and a few more out west that I am not familiar with.

I see W Calder is used by Edinburgh AS - maybe need to be a member of them to use it?

Archived