Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Scope for imaging

I'm trying to decide what to buy as an imaging scope. Budget is a big issue and if possible I would like to spend less than £500.

I've been thinking about a fast 80mm Refractor. What's the best deal for this type of budget. My eye has been on a skywatcher Equinox - 80 but I really have little idea except I dont want a really cheap starter scope - I've already got one of these and they're not any good for photography.

Can anyone give me any advice based on past experience. I've been imaging for a few months now using a Canon 300d on an HEQ5 syntrec mount with various telephoto lenses. My main interest is DSO but I also like the widefield stuff.

I'm gradually accumilating the right Kit, I bought a second hand laptop recently and a copy of DSLR focus. After I've sorted out a scope, autoguiding will be next I suppose !!! Does it ever end ?

Thanks in anticipation

Richard

Just had a quick look at the spec for the meade 80 ED APO and it looks like the kind of thing I'm looking for. The price is about right too.

Why will I need a field flattener ??

I notice you're using one. are you happy with the quality etc

Towards the edge of the field, even with these scopes the stars start to look a bit like tadpoles - it's coma. This is corrected with a flattener. Here is an image of the Rosette without a flattener. In the corners the stars are mishappen. I havn't posted the image before as I'm not that happy with it :), but it shows what the Meade might be capable of. The image is 10 x 2mins unguided at iso1600.

Cheers

post-17204-133877424777_thumb.jpg

I vote for the Celestron C80-ED, it used to be available for £216, not sure if you can get it for that now, although on a CG5 it's still only £347, you could then sell the mount. It's an excellent scope, with very good colour correction. Only downside it that is has a rack and pinion focuser, but it seems to work well.

Another vote for the run-of-the-mill ED80s. (S-W, Orion, Celestron, etc.)

The optics are simply superb (for the money!), and if you are willing to pay extra for fine mechanicals, add a Moonlite focuser.

BTW, the Equinox 80 is an excellent telescope. (In the USA it's marketed as the "EON 80".) Yes, it's a doublet, and you'll need a FF, but optically it's brilliant, and the mechanicals are of a high standard. It's faster than the regular ED80s too. Choosing between the Equinox and an ED80 with a Moonlite is a tough choice.

Richard

I'd look no further than Skywatcher - either the ED80 DS or the Equinox 80 Pro. They are similarly priced ~£450. The ED80 is f7.5 and the Equinox is F6.3. The Equinox also has a rotatable focuser which you might find useful for framing subjects. I don't know whether the ED80 has a similar feature.

Why not give FLO a ring and ask for a comparison of their respective features?

Steve

your not happy with the result?!?!? I would be utterly amazed if I could produce something like that, its beautiful!
We can get hypercritical of our own work T&T - especially when there are some real experts on here. I agree lovely image...

Thanks for the comments about the image. It's true, we can get over-critical, but I know the setup can do better. The image is quite noisy etc, etc. With autoguiding I'll be able to lower the ISO and stack more images. I'm working on it and I will post the results - all I need now is a clear sky!! (less light pollution would help too!)

I'd guess that the Meade being a triplet might have better colour correction - I'd be interested to see what others think? The Meade is also F6 so will have a slightly bigger field of view, but you can always add a reducer.

I've never owned a decent refractor before a few months back so naturally I'm still enthused by it. :)

Archived