Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which Televue EP next?

dogfish

Hi Guys,

Having divested myself of all my imaging gear and replacing it with a 12" Flextube, I've been spending the remaining cash on eye pieces. I currently have a 35mm Panoptic, a 11mm Nagler and a 7mm Baader Genuine Ortho (selling an 18mm Meade 5000 UWA as couldn't get on with the twist-up eye cup).

What other Televue EP's should I invest in next? I fancy either a 24mm Panoptic or alternatively a 22mm Nagler - opinions?

Similarly, I feel something in the mid teen focal length would be useful. Either a 17mm or 16mm Nagler or possibly a 19mm Panoptic.

Any strong opinions out there either way?

Thanks for your help.

Martin

A 17mm Ethos would fit nicely in there if you have the readies :)

I use a 31mm Nagler, 22mm Nagler and the 13mm Ethos with my F/4.8 newt and find I often skip straight to the Ethos from the 31mm - nothing wrong with the 22mm Nagler but the Ethos is just so capable.

The 17mm T4 Nagler has a superb reputation but has the Instajust eyepiece feature (as does the 22 T4) which is not to everybodys taste. The 16mm T5 is a really sharp eyepiece but the eye relief (10mm) is pretty tight for some.

I guess it depends if the wide or ultra-wide is important to you - the Panoptics will do a great job in that niche if 68 degrees FoV is enough.

Choices, choices ......

Like John, I only have 2 eyepieces I use in the 12" - the 31mm Nagler and 13 Ethos. Best purchases I have made to date (and very expensive!!). Those together with a 2x barlow and upcoming 1.6x (which will get me combinations of 6.5, 8.125, 13, 19.375 and 31) is all I really think I need. Having said that I'd like a 21mm Ethos, but I don't think I need it :)

Swap the 11mm for the Ethos and say you have bought an "expansion pack and body kit" to turn it into a 13mm. If any doubts are raised you can show them the 1.25" fitting poking out of the 2" skirt and say "look, theres the 11mm, in there". Simple and only ever-so-slightly underhand :)

Alternatively, you could get a 17mm Ethos, which would bridge the gap nicely, cost the same as 17T4 and 22T4 Naglers, but do the job of both :)

That way you would keep the xmas pressie, have a good spread of magnifications, and not have to buy a 22-24mm additionally...

Don't get me started on how much I want a 17mm Ethos...

Andrew

I just got a 22T4, specifically for the eye relief. I personally very much like the "clickable" adjustment of the eye-cup (one click gets me the best position). I considered the Ethos 17mm but it is so much more expensive, and has the shorter eye relief (I was having the occasional bit of trouble with the Meade 14mm with its 16mm eye relief).

• 1 year later...
Like John, I only have 2 eyepieces I use in the 12" - the 31mm Nagler and 13 Ethos. Best purchases I have made to date (and very expensive!!). Those together with a 2x barlow and upcoming 1.6x (which will get me combinations of 6.5, 8.125, 13, 19.375 and 31) is all I really think I need. Having said that I'd like a 21mm Ethos, but I don't think I need it :)

arad85

I have a 12" Dob and want these eyepieces. I just wondered if you can you use the 13 Ethos as a 2" eyepiece?

cheers

arad85

I have a 12" Dob and want these eyepieces. I just wondered if you can you use the 13 Ethos as a 2" eyepiece?

cheers

This thread is over a year old now so things may have changed with the posters :)

I have an Ethos 13mm which I use in 2" mode all the time with my 10" F/4.8 newtonian.

Archived