SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

IC410 Tadpoles - 24hrs

Tim

I've been adding a bit to this each night, few subs here and there, mostly in S2 and Ha though, as the moon keeps interfering with the O3. Its up to 24 hrs total exposure time now. I'd still like to get another 5 or six hours of O3 if possible.

For the first time I have processed the raw stacks in Pixinsight, for each filter, and then combined them in registar, with finishing in PS.

Skywatcher Mak-newt 190, Starlight H9 camera, baader Ha, SII, OIII filters, HST palette used.

Cheers

Tim

tj-albums-mak-newt-190-pictures-picture4117-ic410-tadpoles.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The long time imaging has allowed you to bring the tadpoles out in a very 3D manner.

Rob

Thanks Rob. When the data set is complete I'm going to try that depth of field processing method that Ken Crawford describes, it seems a natural candidate. This is the first time I have decon'd every channel before combining. The ha subs especially (all 10.5hrs of them ;) ) have ovally stars, which I think is down to the balance of the tube being a little too precise, I made it a tad heavier at the weights end and that seemed to get rid of the effect, but I still need to test on the Ha filter. Using the mutitude of settings in PI I found you can pull the stars back a bit when deconvulving.

Have to swap the scopes back though, I couldn't resist getting the SCT mounted up for the Mars opposition :)

Absolutely stunning as we'd already discussed. The earlier version already sold the wife on my new 190MN ;)

:)

You'll love the mak-newt Lee, especially now that they come with a dual speed focusser as standard.

crivens!

excellent work TJ.

indeed the tadpoles do stick out! embossed looking

maybe the colour balance is a touch too green? maybe you can get a bit more red/blue to shine through!...but thats the only thing even a touch off in that image. It is very good!!!

hopefully you can get the extra exposure time you want!

paul

crivens!

excellent work TJ.

indeed the tadpoles do stick out! embossed looking

maybe the colour balance is a touch too green? maybe you can get a bit more red/blue to shine through!...but thats the only thing even a touch off in that image. It is very good!!!

hopefully you can get the extra exposure time you want!

paul

Thanks Paul. Funnily enough after saving to jpeg I went back and looked at the greeness, and decided that the faint detail in the "back" of the shot is more readily discernible this way. The O3 data is very noisy atm, once there is enough of that it should be easier to strike the balance.

As it goes, using Ha for red, O3 for Green and S2 for blue gave the best distinction between the emissions, but it didnt half look funky :)

We will get you of that photoshop thing ;)

Harry

Not until you do layers and layer blending :D And I havent discovered a tool I can use like the selective colour tool in PS yet.

Starting to get a regular workflow going now though with PI, and becoming much more comfy with it :)

Beautiful Tim. The Hubble palate works really well on the dusty areas pulling out the tadpoles and the areas at the bottom left. The stars look great, is this how they turned out did you have to sort out the normal magenta colour?

Just a thought on something most people seem to do with narrow band, every one seems to go to town on Ha and then reluctantly spend time on the other channels. Then in the mixing of the channels the Ha has to be held back and the other 2 channels pushed hard. You've obviously got a stack of SII which is working a treat but I wonder if it would have paid using some of those 10 hours of Ha grabbing more OIII.

Beautiful Tim. The Hubble palate works really well on the dusty areas pulling out the tadpoles and the areas at the bottom left. The stars look great, is this how they turned out did you have to sort out the normal magenta colour?

Just a thought on something most people seem to do with narrow band, every one seems to go to town on Ha and then reluctantly spend time on the other channels. Then in the mixing of the channels the Ha has to be held back and the other 2 channels pushed hard. You've obviously got a stack of SII which is working a treat but I wonder if it would have paid using some of those 10 hours of Ha grabbing more OIII.

Thanks Martin. I find the stars revert to their normalish colour (either gold or blue) when the colour of the colours is adjusted. I'm not sure why that is, but when I checked my narrowband pacman stars against an RGB image, the blues and golds were the same. The only thing I have done to the stars is a sideways deconvulve and a bit of shrinking, nothing on the colours.

I wish for extra OIII :) Most of this has been done on moonlit nights and the OIII filter doesnt seem to block it out. Still waiting for a clear new moon night..... On a decent night I can get 6 hours on this, so it'll soon mount up, even in 1200 sec chunks.

Incidentally, this is the first time I have had any success imaging both sides of the meridian flip. The observatory has helped no end with that, and dead handy to have the tadpole to centre on.

Thanks for all the nice comments, I dont think i'm going to want to give this scope back:p

Archived