Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

MIRROR CLEANING

Ive done it without any problems and have tried different methods.

The last one getting the Dreft soapflakes pure cotton buds and distilled water was the problem.

With warm water in a bowl mix in the soapflakes then submerge the mirror. You dont even have to touch the mirror as you very gently drag the cotton buds between fingertips accross the surface.

Any stubborn marks might need slight pressure on the bud.

Then pour water over the tilted mirror and then distilled water to finish. Finally any drops of water refusing to run off the tilted mirror can be soaked up with blotting paper without touching the mirror.

If you do everything in a plastic bowl then everything is safe but I did it in the sink and standing the mirror on edge was the riskiest bit. You can always hold the mirror to stop it toppling if you want.

John.

I recently cleaned the main mirror on my 12in LX200 (as it was spotted with mould) myself and after a couple of attempts obtained a very satisfactory result. I left the mirror attached to its 'cell' i.e. as it came out in one piece, which had the advantages there was no need to set its orientation wrt the corrector (this was taken care of when it was reinserted in the OTA and the focuser attached) and no need to touch the mirror itself. I covered both ends of the tube with cling film held on with an elastic band and then cleaned it as descibed. As I removed it from washing I removed the cling film to release the small amount of water in the tube. After a thorough rinse with tap water I used water from a dehumidifier that had been filtered as a final rinse. And here is the important point, as you finish the final rinse with it a bit tilted, then keep the mirror horizontal and dab up the few droplets that will remain and any further small amounts that seep from around the centre where the cork ring is. Once dry I put a tiny spot of matt black paint on the edge of the glass where the focuser fitted and re-assembled. My 12in required that a strongish spring be partially compressed before attaching the focus rod which required a bolt through the transit attachment but I believe (to its detriment as regards mirror flop) the 10in has no spring making life easier. I also took the opportuity to add some more grease and squidge it around by sliding the mirror assembly up and down before re-attaching it. I was very apprehensive about doing it myself but am very satisfied with the results. There is a thread in the Meade Uncensored forum where I obtained advice from the experts - "LX200 Classic Primary Mirror"

Archived