Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My second go at M42

Shibby

I've had another go at imaging M42 (see my first attempt here: http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/93234-m42-managed-image.html )

This time, I've used more subs and a bhatinov mask made out of paper for focusing :) I can't decide which version I like best. It's a trade-off between the noise and the faint detail...

26x30s subs, 5 darks

SW 130P, Nikon D70 (unmodified), 2x barlow, total full moon!

output-proc2-small.jpg

output-proc1-small.jpg

output-proc3-small.jpg

Thanks, I'm happy with the result given all the problems I'm having with tracking - thankfully DSS is very forgiving with the tracking errors, so long as the focus is ok.

I hope to add more subs to it soon, but the weather isn't looking too promising again this week.

I like the colour of the second but the first one has a nice feel to it. The 3rd one has been pushed a little too hard I think, decisions decisions! My take on how far to push an image is that it is usually best to hold back rather than push too far from an aesthetic point of view.

I think the first is my favourite too, it is smoother than the others and the core looks better, although I've found on my desktop monitor it's harder to see the outer detail than the brighter laptop monitor. I need more subs! More!

Wow! I'm impressed... you've given me hope! I have an unmodified D70 as well! What ISO setting were you on? Did you max it out or back off a little? I think I prefer the first example.

Oh yes, forgot to say - ISO 800. Interesting to hear you have the same camera, we should share experiences. This article may be of interest to you: Nikon D70 - astronomy imaging I must admit, I didn't bypass the median filtering this time! :)

OMG, How amazing!! The first pic is beautiful, definitly my favourite. Seeing them has made me think that after I've paid for my Northern Lights spotting holiday next winter, I'm gonna start saving up for a better scope so I can take shots of my own. You've officially given me the bug Shibby.

Xx

OMG, How amazing!! The first pic is beautiful, definitly my favourite. Seeing them has made me think that after I've paid for my Northern Lights spotting holiday next winter, I'm gonna start saving up for a better scope so I can take shots of my own. You've officially given me the bug Shibby.

Xx

That's great to know! :) It is the other people on this forum that have inspired me to try imaging so it's nice (and quite surprising) to know that I'm now one of them. Have you tried any imaging yet at all?

you should have a go at imaging with out the barow bud you may find the tracking a bit easyer you maybe able the get say 45 sec instead of 30 sec

though you should be dead chuffed there good images

toby

Unfortunately, this seems to be the only way I can achieve focus ;) Oh, I did try it through an eyepiece once but the results were awful!

Going nicely along there Shibby. I'd also vote for removing the barlow if you can, but if you can't focus, that's not going to be much use. If you could, you'not only be more likely to be able to capture longer subs, but you'll let 4x (I think) as much light through to the sensor as well, meaning that you'll get even more details in the same time. Having said that... get loads of subs... aim for three figures... it'll help, a lot.

That's great to know! :) It is the other people on this forum that have inspired me to try imaging so it's nice (and quite surprising) to know that I'm now one of them. Have you tried any imaging yet at all?

no i havent- i dont have a camera adaptot yet. my gran and nan have got me one from where they got my scope and skyscout, so when i go down to sussex in a couple of weeks, i can get it off them and start getting some shots of the moon...

astrokat: Yeh, not enough inward travel :) Wish I'd known before buying the scope really. Prime focus might be possible with a webcam though.

Deneb: Please do, I'm very unexperienced at processing. I'll supply the DSS output if you like?

toilandtrouble: I'd be honoured! I look forward to your moon images, I've tried a couple myself but no great results - I haven't had a go with this registax thing yet...

Archived