Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

FLO

NEW Skywatcher Dual Speed Focuser!

The new Skywatcher Dual Speed Crayford focuser that is supplied as standard on the new Explorer and M190 optical tubes will be available separately for owners of the original models. It will utilise the existing screw-holes so no need to drill or file new ones.

We'll update this thread when we have a price and eta :)

explorer_200p_DS_focuser.jpg

Please note: The first batch of Skywatcher 190MN telescopes had different hole spacings so this focuser might not be a direct replacemant for that model.

Edited by FLO

The very first batch has black metal trim, not white. It might be that some of the early white trim models also have different hole spacings. I'll take some measurements from a current Explorer (should be the same as the 190MN) tomorrow morning then update this thread.

Does this new focuser actually take 2" accessories without the 2" adapter?

The problem with the old focuser is that it is actually larger than 2" at the top but less than 2" inside. The only way to use 2" accessories is with the 2" eyepiece adapter - which puts it too far out for photography.

Mark

Edited by markarian

Also, does this focuser require the central hole cut larger on older Explorer and Skyliner models?

Thanks

Russ

I was looking at these auto-focusers , are they considered to be a `must have` by most people ?

I was looking at these auto-focusers , are they considered to be a `must have` by most people ?

Its not "auto", you still need to turn the knobs yourself to focus.

The end knob is on a 10:1 ratio with the main ones so very fine adjustments can be made.

Is the New one deeper or shallower than the Oldie, or both the same depth?

Ron.:eek:

As per Russ above ^^^^, please, please tell me this focuser does not require the central hole cut larger on older Explorer and Skyliner models.

The base of that looks just like the old skywatcher crayford so can you replace the focuser without changing the base plate? (It's just that my base is fairly permanently attached to my tube through the adaptations required to make it fit a 16" diameter tube)

Will it fit as a replacement for my single speed focuser on a 12 inch Meade Lightbridge?

Rob

Edited by RobH

How does this compare to the current dual speed crayford on sale now and what is the price expected to be for these, somewhere around the price for the current focuser?

As per Glider & Russ above ^^^^, please can you tell me this focuser does not require the central hole cut larger on older Explorer models.

I confess that with the move and everything I completely forgot this thread - sorry :)

I'll see if I can get some answers for posting tomorrow.

Meanwhile, as far as we can tell:

It currently isn't available. You won't need to widen the hole in the tube so-long as the previous focuser was a 2" type. There might be some Skywatcher tubes where it will not fit as Synta do occasionally move the goalposts (in that situation simply return the focuser for a full refund). I would not expect it to fit Orion Optics or Meade telescopes, at least not without drilling new holes. It is not a particularly low-profile focuser so for imaging with a regular Skywatcher Newtonian we would recommend an alternate focuser. I hope to be able to confirm all this soon.

HTH,

Steve

... I hope to be able to confirm all this soon.

The official word is:

"They're not in yet but basically there will be two focusers available - one for the 190MN which is retro-fittable to all previous 190MN's and one for the Newtonian Reflectors, retro-fittable providing the original focuser was a 2" one."

HTH :)