740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

C11 and EQ6 - damping time?

Helen

I had the C11 out last night on the EQ6 viewing and imaging Mars and the moon. I noticed there seemed to be a lot of wobble in the system, with at least a 10s damping time.

The setup is: solid sand filled pier, EQ6 extension pillar, EQ6 with ADM dual dovetail holder, C11 with original orange celestron dovetail, Celestron 2 inch SCT diagonal, eyepiece, Astrzap dew shield.

Is the wobble/damping time normal? Any suggestions on where should I start with strengthening to improve things?

Many thanks :)

Helen

PS the views of the moon were amazing even through some high cloud ;)

Hi Helen,

10 seconds is excessive.

I had a C9.25 on a HEQ5 and steel tripod that settled in 2 seconds, I would expect around the same or better with your setup.

Does the dovetail need tightening ?

Is there any play in the RA or DEC axis of the EQ6 ?

HTH

Edited by dweller25

I would say the same. I had a Meade 10" ota on an EQ6 and also had damping problems. It turned out to be the dovetail. Bought a new one from Scopestuff and damp down times reduced to approx 2secs.

Other than that, it is all balanced/tightened okay?

Just another thought. Do you think that adding rings and then a losmandy plate would be a good option? This might solve another problem too. I did manage to get the C11 on the mount myself last night, it probably was a bit risky, but I wanted to see if I could do it if necessary. The problem was then though that I couldn't get the balance right on my own, and so had to call Mike after all. I thought that if I got rings I could attach the dovetail and rings to the mount first, then slot the scope into the rings and then move the scope in the rings for balance (with the rings taking most of the weight for both loading and moving).

What do you reckon?

Helen

Do you think that adding rings and then a losmandy plate would be a good option? This might solve another problem too.

Definitely worth a try ... if you can "side load" the dovetail clamp it will be worth it for that alone.

10 sec settling time would be completely impossible for me. With my breezy site, 1 sec is too much. That's why I am often in disagreement with other (happy) users & the advertised load carrying capacities.

The pier was built for my Nextstar 8GPS on a wedge, but when the motor died at the end of last year I decided to get the flexibility of an EQ mount. The extension is needed to get a reasonable height for wall clearance (and in fact greater height would be useful). It also prevets any concern about scope or counterweights hitting the square pier. I think I will dismantle it and take the pier top plate and the extension to one of my friends who has a workshop and see how we can make the fixings really robust.

Helen