sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Vesta - my first minor planet sketch ever !!

DarkerSky

With the help of Stellarium I took some time to track down Vesta in the moonlit sky in the early hours of 30 Jan. Managed to identify it and sketch it in a widefield eyepiece.

16" Mag x70

Vesta30Jan2010.jpg

I tried to position the eyepiece for the sketch so the starfield would be the same for when I came back to it tonight (hopefully a bit later on). Unfortunately I think on reflection though that Vesta is moving away from that starfield rather than through it. Will have to get it right next time as I would like to be able to plot its movement against the same background stars :)

Great catch of Vesta.

Vesta moves quite quickly across the sky, in a couple of hours you would have noticed the position change easily.

It's always exciting to get an object that's new.

Thanks for the info Paul. I really didn't appreciate how quickly it would move. I'll know for next time :)

Great sketch, I'm going tohave to google Vesta, as I can't say that I've heard of it before. How far out is its orbit?

Do you sketch directly onto black card at your scope? Or trasnfer a quick sketch later on?

Hi YM...

Vesta is in the asteroid belt in that gap between Mars and Jupiter. I think it is the second or third largest asteroid in the belt.

I actually sketch black on white paper. I then scan or photograph it, put it into my photo software program and just invert the image to negative, so it goes white on black. I like it that way as it gives a better impression of what you see at the eyepiece, rather than if it is just black on white

Excellent work again DS.

I've always thought of tracking down one of the asteroids, just to see if i could spot the movement over the course of a day, never realised you could detect the movement in a couple of hours. I'll give it a try on the 17th if it's clear.

Russ