sgl_imaging_challenge_6_banner_jupiter_2021.jpg.eacb9f0c2f90fdaafda890646b3fc199.jpg

Be Aware Of This One People!!

Greg

Worked OK for me, in fact I thin k Mars looked even bigger than the ful moon. The sun was out as well and that was great alongside M13 and the great Johnnie Walker.....

Na...You're mistaking it for the Gordons and Tonic nebula in orion ...You know the lemon shaped one.

It started in 2003, when it was mostly accurate. Even the bit about Mars appearing as large as the moon when viewed through a modest 60 power telescope - an unfortunate line break caused a lot of people to miss the qualifier. I've had to tell a couple of folks in my office to stop sending it around, and why. Also had to field a couple of questions from a few people, including my wife, who got it at work.

• 1 year later...
In late August 2003 Mars came within 35 million miles of Earth, and in late October and early November 2005 it came within 43 million miles. Mars's next opposition will come in December 2007, when it will be farther still, 55 million miles from Earth

Thats sucks that its getting further away, will it come as close as it did in '03 in the next few years?

In late August 2003 Mars came within 35 million miles of Earth, and in late October and early November 2005 it came within 43 million miles. Mars's next opposition will come in December 2007, when it will be farther still, 55 million miles from Earth

Thats sucks that its getting further away, will it come as close as it did in '03 in the next few years?

It doesn't really matter too much from an observational point of view. The altitude is FAR more important when viewing from ground based scopes and Mars will be pretty high this year,