SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First mars with a mono cam

MikeD

Seeing wasn't great last night but I thought it was about time I pointed my DMK21 at a planet.;)

Shot with my 250PX (extended) Eyepiece projection with a standard skywatcher 10mm EP.

I think I am pushing the F4.8 newt to it's limit here but am pleased with the result as this is also my main DSO scope.:)

Each RGB AVI was 120 sec's @ 60 FPS, and the result is R-RGB. Straight out of Registax ( around 700 frames used for each) and put together as a colour image with photoshop (no colour correction)

Mike.

post-13376-13387742379_thumb.jpg

Very attractive image needs resizing but detail very good and that soft processing I find very exquisite. Noels Actions normally for deep space does work well with planetary/lunar in PS, using local contrast enhancement and space noise reduction with blending works well.

John.

Very impressive, I'm sure it will be quite some time before I begin to approach this fine work ... I just received a DMK21 the other day (and of course the clouds promptly moved in). I was already stretching my budget, so I'll have to experiment incrementally. I have no photographic color filters... not even an IR filter (which I'm thinking I'll probably want to get next... what do you think?). Will just hook the thing up and see what kind of damage I can do. I stole my wife's nice little Netbook... also got EQMOD running my Atlas EQ-G (ie Synta EQ6 I believe... everywhere else)... so I'm quickly running out of USB ports with a game controller occupying another one.

One dumb question... what kind of adapter are you using to do eyepiece projection with the DMK21? I've got an adapter enabling it with my T-ring equipped DSLR, but didn't realize there was something I could plug a 1 1/4" imager into.

I'm also interested in the answer to how you do afocal imaging with the DMK...
Buy a cine camera / CCTV lens & use a digiscoping bracket.

Seriously, though, you don't need to do this - if you want magnification, extend the focal length with a barlow lens. The DMK camera - with its 1.25" nosepiece fitted - replaces the eyepiece used for visual work.

I'd strongly suggest fitting a plain glass "filter" to the nosepiece to help keep the dust bunnies off the chip.

Buy a cine camera / CCTV lens & use a digiscoping bracket.
Aha.. OK - thanks.
I'd strongly suggest fitting a plain glass "filter" to the nosepiece to help keep the dust bunnies off the chip.
I hate those *&^%*(% dust bunnies.... grrrrr :)

Archived