SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Limit function in Registax 5

Hi there! I am using Registax 5 to stack lunar AVI files from a webcam. Following the "Align" stage I get a "Registration graph" showing decreasing quality by the sloping red line. There is a vertical green bar which I can slide left or right and stop at a point after which I don't want to include frames in the stack (lower quality frames). [The bar also moves if I change the % in the "lowest quality" setting box in the left hand panel. ] I then press the "limit" button at the top and then "Optimise & stack". It then stacks the frames but seems to have ignored my request not to use frames that I selected with the green bar. There is a tick box in the left panel which says"Ignore misaligned frames". This doesn't seem to make any difference either.

I would also like to know what the green line actually means (the one plotted on the "Registration graph". Registax help says it's difference in intensity but when I examine the frames this doesn't appear to be true.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thens.

If you go thru the limit and optimizing, then manually click on stack tab,beneath there is a list of check boxes-if you then check on registration graph this then gives the option of sliders X & Y. slide it down the graph to cut out peaks above the line and slide the other right to left to reduce poorer frames then stack- try it.

The first graph I've never noticed TBH but it wont take frames out. The other option is to go thru the frame list and manually uncheck frames

I'm not sure what the green line is for but I use the slider at the very bottom of the screen to set the limit.

After aligning the bottom of the screen shows something like the image below. Drag the little yellow pointer left and right to change the stacksize and then hit limit.

post-13749-13387742381_thumb.jpg

Many thanks for your time folks. I looked again. Starting with 456 frames, using "Starfliers" method I used the green bar on the "Registration graph" to select 127 frames. Then "Limit" and "optimise and stack. The final stack had 142 frames.

Using Karlo's method, I started with the same 456 frames, Aligned and set no limit i.e.456 frames in the "Registration graph" green bar. Then Optimised (not stacked) and selected the stack button. Displayed the "Stackgraph" and selected 127 frames using the quality red slider. Then selected stack. The final stacksize was now 321. To say I am confused is a bit of an underestimate!

PKM,

Sounds like it deleted 127 frames?

( Page 33 and Page 35 of the Registax 5 manual V1.0 (28/2/09)

The red line is the quality line ie best to worst quality and the green line is the "movement" of the individual frames to get best alignment with the selected point.

Ken

Hi Everyone, I have emailed Registax and got the following statements:

With reference to the number of frames stacked:

With multipoint the limit-function sets the number of frames for each

alignpoint. So with 179 it selects the 179 best frames for each point,

this always leads to a total number of frames larger than 179.

With reference to the green line:

The difference in intensity is the metric used. For each pixel in

the reference-frame and the current frame that difference is measured.

The reference area is the position of the alignmentbox on the

referenceframe.

So there you have it!

Many thanks to all again.

Pete

Archived