Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars - Get out there and see it!!!

russ

I don't usually use my scopes visually, but I was changing kit around and used the opportunity to have a look at Mars with my TMB152 at 255x.....stunning...a wealth of detail. I've never had such a good view of it, even with my old 14 inch :)

Cheers

Rob

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First real look at Mars since I got my new CPC 925 and it was awesome.

Managed to see the icecap and loads of dark detail after popping in an ND filter, it was just too bright without. I spent about an hour freezing outside, it was well worth it. I used an 11mm TV Plossl with 2 x Barlow, thats 426X by my reckoning!

Get out there.....

Allan

Other than it's my first clear night for two weeks and the weather forecast is awful from midnight Saturday.....so on reflection i would say it is pretty special.

exactly!!!

thanks Russ for the prompt. got me off my fat *%"@ and saw lovely mars in the 10" dob. seeing a bit shaky - was best for me at x240 and degraded at a bit under 300. might go out again but really chilly so might try instead to work out what I saw. definite darkeing and patch below the pole and quite thick patch toward the southern end:)

oh, and lovely colour.

Well here's my feeble first effort - the Megrez90 isn't the ideal scope (but hey worth a go!)

Helen

Worth a go indeed! Lots of detail in there Helen, thats almost exactly as i saw it visually ( but in colour)

Allan

Cue manic high-speed-get-the-scope-indoors-before-its-soaked action. Grrrr.

That happens here regularly, one night I had 7 shower interruptions. Just toss a tarpaulin over the scope, tie down with a couple of bungee cords to stop the gusty wind blowing the tarp away & wait for the shower to pass. Scope will be nicely set up when it does.

Well I had a look in my 10 inch and I can see the pole and about three dark markings just when the settled spells happen. I split a 1.6" double so that would say the sky is not too bad...

Mars I think must be one of those objects that gets easier with practice.

It was whiter tonight probably due to being close to the moon?

Mark

I saw it as in that Megrez picture when it was still....So how on earth do people get the level of detail on some of those sketches. I do think they must have amazing scopes as my 10 inch at 300 X shows a disk as small as that photo above..

To get the detail they are drawing I therefore would need maybe 600x?

Mark

Here in Leeds the skies have been very steady indeed, sharp views of Mars , well chuffed. The only downside waas having to use the dewshield to mask off some of the glare from the Moon, meant the scope kept dancing each time a gust blew up but hey ! Great to see so much of the Red Planet !!

Just finished a one hour session. Had Rob on the phone for half of it. Comparing views through the scopes. Decided to setup both the dob and SCT. The dob edged it for detail. I tweaked the collimation on the SCT and it fought back somewhat. But the optics in the dob are mighty. The SCT topped out at 332x, that was the last view with any detail. The dob was still working hard at 450x when the seeing allowed. There was some nice finer detail to be seen, which was very pleasing. Yellow filter helped reduce some glare and allowed the details to be seen a little easier. I'm on the fence with the red filter. The main dark markings stood out but the finer stuff vanished. Couldn't find my orange filter which was annoying.

A great nights viewing. It's still crystal clear but the temps are real low and i still have a cold. So had to call it a night.

Russ

Back in also Russ after 2hr 30mins of Mars obs with my 150P. It did very well at around 200x to 230x plenty of detail on offer. It ran through an on/off seeing period, but these things are meant to try us!.. kept with it and all in all very happy. Lots of dark markings and a polar cap that really stood out. Even managed a fair view in the ED80 to finish up.

Also 100% agree on how cold it is here tonight. I could not feel my fingers towards the end.

Rob

I still haven't had a chance to see Mars. It's frustrating too, because it's been beautifuly clear the last few nights here in Wisconsin. Problem is, the temperature's been going down to -26C. ;) Naturally, when the temperature is decent, it's because the clouds have moved back in... just shoot me. :)

I still haven't had a chance to see Mars. It's frustrating too, because it's been beautifuly clear the last few nights here in Wisconsin. Problem is, the temperature's been going down to -26C. ;) Naturally, when the temperature is decent, it's because the clouds have moved back in... just shoot me. :)

Blimey that is extreme and a real pity you can't see Mars. Hopefully you may get some sort of chance before it goes.

Last night was my first proper view of Mars through my telescope as previously I have only seen it with the naked eye and my binoculars.

Wow!

The best view was using the Skywatcher supplied 10mm EP, with moon filter, and 2x Barlow, giving me 240x magnification. Mars looked dusky pink with darker patches and distinct icecap. Absolutely stunning view, though it was moving through the fov very quickly.

:)

I ventured back outside at about 10.30pm last night (the snow had cleared by then!) Spent about an hour observing Mars with my 6" SCT. Terrific view with 7mm orthoscopic EP (giving 214x magnification).

I made a sketch at the eyepiece, which I've just been tarting up a bit in Paintshop to give a better impression of what it looked like through the eyepiece. Hope you like it! Mare Acidalium really prominent in the north next to the polar icecap. Managed to get a good impression of the colour too, I think.

Ian

post-14273-133877423586_thumb.jpg

Last night I had a 40min opening in the clouds and I went out to observe Mars.

The detail was great using the ND filter. It was also 1st light for my 10mm Ethos. I used the 9 and 5mm orthos, the ethos and the barlow and I'm lead to believe I got the best views with the Ethos+Barlow and ND filter. I sow the cap, a dark region under it which i think is "Acidalia Planitia" and another elongated region across the south hemisphere which is probably "Noach is Terra" and neighbors. It looked like Helen's pic but sharper with all EPs.

Archived