1825338873_SNRPN2021banner.jpg.68bf12c7791f26559c66cf7bce79fe3d.jpg

full moon = no clouds!

sgazer

I'm totally convinced that the full moon has an affect on the clouds. Literally for the last 4 months, clear nights only seem to occur when there is a full moon. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this? So not only are DSO's out of the question, but the moon isn't really that interesting when it's full either!

So looks like I'll have to turn my attention to Mars tonight, assuming that every forecast is not wrong!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

but the moon isn't really that interesting when it's full either
Sorry but love the moon and can look at it for ages, but understand that sometimes nature does seem to be against the night sky observer espescially the last few months:( Edited by Dicky de Builder

Looking like solar system objects only in the next few days people, trapezium stars can still be a target though i suppose. Think i read that mars and the moon are going got be very close tonight or tomorrow should be an interesting thing to observe :)

No probs. Yeah will be my first time. Do u suggest I look for any thing else. I know the main constelations but now I am taking things further after a cold and cloudy 5 weeks. Only got 10 x 50 bino's at the mo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure i asked what the best thing to view was......... I asked for any other ideas..... I had kinda considered the moon.

So are u saying the moon is all I can see.

Ps I don't like chinesse food so would not know. I have been to an itailian resturaunt and had steak and enjoyed it ..........

Sorry Teddy i wasnt aiming my comment towards you. I was just making a general statement regarding nights of full moon.

I've seen plenty of objects whilst observing under a full moon: Galaxies in Leo, star clusters in Auriga etc etc. All just using my 20X90 bins. I have even seen M42 with my 90mm scope. Last full moon all i could see of M42 with my 130mm scope was the main stars in the "Trap". I saw no nebulosity.

Edited by LukeSkywatcher

Likewise Luke , soz if I seemed to respond in a sarkie way. I did laugh at it second time reading lol.

I am really excited about a clear sky and after reading for 4 weeks instead of getting out I just want to find something new.

Any money it's all in vain and the clouds come. Not seen many clear skys since took up this hobby 6m ago. The ones I have .......... There's been a full moon . Arrrrr hence the responce.

It does seem to be the way. From an imagers point of view, its time to pull out the Ha filter and use that.

At the risk of being called an observer though, I might just pop an eyepiece in tonight and take a gander at Mars. Dont tell anybody though.....

Probably best to dig out an ND (ND2 or ND4) or Polarising filter if observing the moon tonight. Just take the edge of that brightness, especially at low power.

I'll give the moon a quick go but main attention will be the planets. Although the moon is sticking to Mars like glue tonight, which will reduce the contrast of the background sky. I feel a change of plan coming on.

Plan B - For those that fancy an early start, it's worth noting that by 5am the moon is sinking into the western horizon. By which time Saturn will be well placed for viewing and there's good stuff rising out of the East where the sky will be darkest. All the summer stuff is up. So M13, Albireo, M57 etc. So if you can cope will with an early start (i can), it should be well worth it.

Edited by russ

Plan B - For those that fancy an early start, it's worth noting that by 5am the moon is sinking into the western horizon. By which time Saturn will be well placed for viewing and there's good stuff rising out of the East where the sky will be darkest. All the summer stuff is up. So M13, Albireo, M57 etc. So if you can cope will with an early start (i can), it should be well worth it.

I tried the early start plan a couple of weekends ago and it took me the rest of the week to recover! I'll wait for it to come round in the evenings I think :)

It's certainly not for everyone. I get up every morning at 6am anyway. My wife says i have a messed up biological clock! So finding an extra hour at the moment isn't a big deal for me. But I agree it does take it out of you if you have a late night too. I did that a couple of times a few weeks ago and felt ill after two sessions. 1am to bed, 5am rise is not a good idea.

Over the last month or so i have woken up at about 4-5am and just for fun decided to look outside. The skies were beautifully clear so i grabbed my trusty 130P and went out. The air is amazingly still at that time of the morning. The seeing is fantastic. Not sure i could take it up full time (observing at 4-5am) but every now and then would be nice.

I'm totally convinced that the full moon has an affect on the clouds. Literally for the last 4 months, clear nights only seem to occur when there is a full moon. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this? So not only are DSO's out of the question, but the moon isn't really that interesting when it's full either!

So looks like I'll have to turn my attention to Mars tonight, assuming that every forecast is not wrong!

I concur ;)

It is getting ridiculous. Every time there's no clouds :)

Andy.

Very clear here at the moment but it may not stay that way. One can only hope

I definitely agree with the Full Moon thing so it will be Mars and Saturn and not much else. Certainly one of the reasons why I haven't done much Deep Sky Imaging in the last year or so because clear moonless nights are like hen's teeth in my part of the world.

Wouldn't mind doing some imaging tonight as I don't have to be that early tomorrow.

Fingers crossed.

Geoff